At Ouster, we're developing advanced Sensor hardware and vision algorithms for autonomous vehicles.
The Ouster Commodity Manager - Optics / Electronics will take responsibility for the Optics, electronics manufacturing services, PCBA’s, cabling and electrical components. This individual will be integral in setting and driving supply chain metrics, both commercial and performance related for assigned commodities. S/he will establish and own relationships with suppliers within the defined group of commodities and will take the lead in all strategic initiatives, and ultimately, key sourcing decisions.
Reporting the Supply Chain Manager, the ideal candidate will develop a comprehensive sourcing strategy both globally and domestically and work to streamline Ouster electronics supply by participating in the demand management process and by understanding supplier and industry capacity. This individual will insure that the latest availability of product features and capabilities are taken into account in designs by coordinating with engineering, operations, sales and marketing teams.
- Collaborate with engineering during design phase to identify solutions, confirm component availability (throughout full product life cycles), and manage ongoing improvement and value engineering efforts
- Establish relationships with key component suppliers to build a reliable supply pipeline supporting forecasted demand
- Identify manufacturing partners for new product development as well as supply chain diversity initiatives
- Negotiate contracts to meet the long-range quality, delivery and cost targets
- Set and execute on a strategic supply chain plan for each product line and/or commodity
- Define expectations with suppliers around quality, delivery, policies, etc. and track and communicate performance results
- Maintain knowledge of supplier operating capacity and ensure supplier harvest/delivery plans consistently satisfy supply plans defined by material planners
- Develop strategies to mitigate risks as part of the overall commodity/supplier strategy.
- Supports supplier development programs.
- Manages supplier evaluation programs. Setting and measuring supplier improvement objectives
- Minimum 10+ years of relevant work experience in an industrial environment (e.g. optics, electronics, automotive) working in procurement or sourcing, ideally combined with an international background/experience.
- Strong commercial background, ideally in a technical or business field of study or corresponding qualifications.
- Clear understanding of procurement management. You have the ability to effectively communicate and present information to suppliers, team members, leaders and top management
- Experience with NetSuite or related ERP systems.
- Highly proficient with verbal and written English.
- Experience working in a highly dynamic matrix organization.
- Demonstrated track record of developing and implementing commodity strategies resulting in significant financial and operational benefit for the organization. Demonstrated track record of cost reduction is required
- Ability to build supplier relationships at all levels. Team player effectively works with cross-functional teams. Comfortable working in a global environment. Ability to operate both at a strategic and tactical level. Strong strategic thinking, problem-solving and analytical skills.
- Ability to apply a long-term view while ensuring the day-to-day delivery of results. Strong sense of accountability, results-oriented, can-do attitude.
- Detail-oriented with demonstrated strong analytical skills, including the ability to gather data, evaluate trends, identify gaps and generate useful information from the dataset. Strong financial acumen especially as related to sourcing and supply chain.
- Proactive, takes initiative, ability to meet aggressive deadlines and maintain strong internal customer focus required. Ability to manage multiple priorities and tasks simultaneously. Excellent self-discipline and works under limited supervision.