Ouster’s mission is to collect and catalog high-definition three-dimensional data used to navigate and understand the physical world. We're pursuing new software business models in the autonomous ecosystem, enabled by our success developing advanced sensor hardware and vision algorithms for autonomous cars and drones. We're looking for software engineers interested in working on the systems that underpin modern robotics: high performance sensors, localization, mapping, object detection, tracking and classification. Our team is composed of engineers that wear many hats and enjoy building systems that cope with the messiness of the real world. All of us push code, some of us build hardware, and none of us wants to wait another decade for cars and drones to be driving themselves.
Ouster seeks growth-oriented software and systems managers who can hire/lead a team, mentor less experienced engineers, and set technical direction for and between the functional groups within engineering. Engineering Managers will set requirements, architect the platform, hire the team, and drive execution. They will work closely with Ouster team members to create an exceptional culture of test driven development, responsible engineering, and continuous product improvement.
- Assume the role of our first software engineering lead directing the ~20 engineers falling into the following teams: Cloud Infrastructure, Data Tooling, Vehicle Engineering, Machine Learning, Mapping.
- Devise and execute on a plan for hiring a lean, high-performance engineering team with the necessary domain expertise.
- Be fully capable driving code reviews to continuously raise the quality and efficiency bars for current and future software engineers.
- Mentor talented and bright junior engineers.
- Work cross-functionally to ensure that the software/systems engineering team is delivering products of the quality, of the depth/breadth, and in a timeframe that aligns with Ouster's commercial goals and the goals of the other engineering teams.
- Select and manage development tools to support a highly efficient & agile environment.
Experience & Skills:
- Player / Coach: Highly technical and capable of coding.
- Very well-versed in building highly complex data architectures and platforms.
- Experienced hiring and managing 15+ engineers.
- Ability to thrive in a hands-on, startup environment, i.e., roll up your sleeves, get stuff done.
- Skilled in math and statistics.
- Exceptionally high IQ balanced with the necessary EQ to effectively manage a team.
- Visionary, strategic “forward-thinking” style for planned growth and project management.
- Domain expertise in self-driving technology, robotics, or mapping is an advantage.
- Up-to-date with the latest research in machine learning, mapping, robotics, and related fields.
- Experienced with C++ and hands-on understanding of computer vision, deep learning, and real-time robotics technology.
Ouster is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that pursues and hires a diverse workforce. Ouster does not make employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion, ethnic or national origin, nationality, sex, gender, gender-identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, military status, or any other basis protected by local, state, or federal laws. Ouster also strives for a healthy and safe workplace, and prohibits harassment of any kind. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, Ouster considers qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records for employment. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.