Ought is a research lab building tools for delegating cognitive work to advanced machine learning (ML) systems. Our mission is to apply advances in ML to problems that require open-ended qualitative reasoning.
We’re currently building tools that forecast world events by integrating human judgment with machine learning. We’re tackling questions like:
- Will SpaceX land people on Mars prior to 2030?
- When will the Turing Test be passed?
- Will the United States experience at least one quarter of negative real GDP growth in 2020?
- Will Kim Jong-Un be Supreme Leader of North Korea on Dec. 31?
About the role
The best forecasts depend both on qualitative reasoning ("How does the UK government think about lockdown release?") and quantitative reasoning ("How many global confirmed cases of COVID-19 do epidemiological models project for 2020?"). To integrate these types of reasoning, we've built Ergo. Ergo uses state-of-the-art probabilistic programming languages and integrates with prediction platforms to use human belief distributions in models.
As a full-stack engineer at Ought, you will
- Build apps on top of Ergo that
- Make it easier for users to make forecasts and delegate parts of the forecasting process
- Visualize forecasts in interpretable and decision-relevant ways
- Gather data from users on forecasting decompositions
- Elicit complex information from users (like conditional probabilities) accessibly and intuitively
- Contribute directly to Ergo, building out integrations with prediction platforms, data sources, and other tools in the ecosystem.
We think the person who will thrive in this role will demonstrate the following:
- Strong CS fundamentals and software engineering background
- Ability to quickly convert ideas into tests and prototypes
- Clear communication about engineering topics to a diverse audience
You'll especially enjoy working at Ought if you have:
- Familiarity with the Python data science ecosystem (Numpy, Jupyter, Pandas)
- A startup mindset. We expect to measure our impact in part by the people whose lives we improve through better reasoning and models of the future
- Experience with functional programming (e.g. SICP), programmable software (e.g., Emacs, Vim), or symbolic AI (e.g. PAIP)
EEO & Employment Eligibility
Ought is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, disability status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local laws.