Ought is a research lab building tools for delegating cognitive work to advanced machine learning (ML) systems. Our mission is to apply advances in ML to problems that require open-ended qualitative reasoning.
We’re currently building tools that forecast world events by integrating human judgment with machine learning. We’re tackling questions like:
- Will SpaceX land people on Mars prior to 2030?
- When will the Turing Test be passed?
- Will the United States experience at least one quarter of negative real GDP growth in 2020?
- Will Kim Jong-Un be Supreme Leader of North Korea on Dec. 31?
About the role
The best forecasts depend both on qualitative reasoning ("How does the UK government think about lockdown release?") and quantitative reasoning ("How many global confirmed cases of COVID-19 do epidemiological models project for 2020?"). To integrate these types of reasoning, we've built Ergo. Ergo uses state-of-the-art probabilistic programming languages and integrates with prediction platforms to use human belief distributions in models.
As an engineering manager at Ought, you will:
- Manage the work of at least 2-3 other engineers
- Help design the technical product and roadmap, including web applications built on Ergo
- Make key architectural decisions about Ergo, such as
- What API to expose
- How to interact with probabilistic modeling and visualization tools and libraries
- How to provide common model patterns in a way that’s both easy to use and flexible
- Help build out the engineering team
Our benefits and compensation packages are comparable to those of similar roles in the Bay Area.
We think the person who will thrive in this role will demonstrate the following:
- A strong software engineering background. We want to apply your experience building systems, designing architecture, and thinking about good abstractions. Most people who are a good fit for this role will have 4+ years experience in software engineering roles.
- 2+ years experience managing a small team, squad, or project with at least 3-5 other engineers in various roles.
- Ability to reason about and choose between different frameworks, cloud services, and libraries.
- Clear communication about engineering topics to diverse audiences.
You'll especially enjoy working at Ought if you have:
- Probabilistic modeling experience. You’ll hit the ground running if you have experience with probabilistic programming languages like Pyro, PyMC, WebPPL, Stan, or BLOG.
- Familiarity with the Python data science ecosystem. Numpy, Jupyter, Pandas. Ideally PyTorch and Jax.
- A startup mindset. We expect to measure our impact in part by the people whose lives we improve through reasoning and models of the future.
- Experience with functional programming (e.g. SICP), programmable software (e.g., Emacs, Vim), or symbolic AI (e.g. PAIP).
EEO & Employment Eligibility
Ought is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, disability status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local laws.