Ought is an applied research lab building Elicit, a GPT-3-based research assistant for questions about the future.
Today, researchers and policy analysts use Elicit to find relevant publications for a literature review, find datasets, or brainstorm research questions that are interesting to their audience. Researchers define new tasks by showing Elicit just a few examples of the task being done. Elicit then scales those tasks to thousands of publications and datasets.
Watch Elicit in action below. Right now Elicit is in private beta as we build it in close collaboration with our users.
About the role
As engineering lead at Ought, you will:
- Manage the work of at least 2-3 other engineers
- Contribute directly to the Elicit codebase
- Help design the technical product and roadmap
- Make key architectural decisions, such as how to
- Compose together multiple calls to language models to accomplish tasks that we can't accomplish with a single call, as in this paper
- Connect Elicit with external data sources such as spreadsheets and site searches
- Let users quickly provide feedback to the tool to create an interactive training loop
- Help build out the engineering team
Some engineering projects we're working on soon:
We think the person who will thrive in this role will demonstrate the following:
- A strong software engineering background. We want to apply your experience building systems, designing architecture, and thinking about good abstractions. Most people who are a good fit for this role will have 4+ years of experience in software engineering roles.
- 2+ years of experience managing a small team, squad, or project with at least 3-5 other engineers in various roles.
- Ability to reason about and choose among different frameworks, cloud services, and libraries.
- Clear communication about engineering topics to diverse audiences.
You'll especially enjoy working at Ought if you have:
- Familiarity with language models (training, finetuning, evaluation) or natural language processing more generally
- A startup mindset. We expect to measure our impact in part by the people whose lives we improve through reasoning and models of the future.
- Experience with functional programming (e.g. SICP), programmable software (e.g., Emacs, Vim), or symbolic AI (e.g. PAIP).
EEO & Employment Eligibility
Ought is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, disability status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local laws.