Who We Are
OtherSide Entertainment is an independent game studio with remote staff throughout North America. Our mission is to create deeply immersive games that draw players into richly imagined worlds; games that empower players to choose their own play-style, making their experience unique and personal; games that encourage players to team up with their friends and weave their own shared narrative; the kind of games that are powered by our players’ vision as much as our own. Together, we aim to evolve the “player-authored” tradition of Ultima Underworld, System Shock, Thief, and Deus Ex – all games developed by the company’s founders, Paul Neurath and Warren Spector.
You will play a key role on the OtherSide team as we push the state-of-the-art for immersive, play-authored games as we have before. You will work with some of the industry’s top developers, who’ve collectively made games that have earned over 200 industry awards and earned over $5B in revenues. We’ve created a unique culture in a smaller team environment that champions tight collaboration and both encourages and allows individuals to make an impact.
What We Need
We are looking for a Gameplay Engineer to join our team in working on Thick As Thieves, a multiplayer stealth game. This role will report to and work closely with the Lead Engineer and the rest of the project team to build features, tools, systems, and workflow improvements in support of the game. The ideal candidate will thrive in a highly collaborative cross-discipline working environment with an emphasis on creating high quality, maintainable code and technical designs.
- Create stable, testable, maintainable gameplay features and systems in collaboration with the rest of the engineering team and other disciplines.
- Collaborate with art, design, and audio to understand workflows and establish development patterns that support the studio and the project.
- Work within and contribute to existing code standards and best practices.
- Review other engineers' code and technical designs and share knowledge and expertise.
- Play the game under development as part of the team and offer constructive feedback
- 5 years of experience programming in the games industry
- Experience and skill programming with C++ in a professional environment
- Experience working with multiplayer game engines such as Unreal Engine 4/5
- Solid organizational and communication skills, and effectively contribute in cross-group work tasks with the art and design teams
- Worked on at least one shipped game, for PC or consoles
- Education: BS degree in Computer Science, or equivalent experience
- Experience building multiplayer game systems
- Positive demeanor, strong work ethic, sense of humor
Our people-first approach to game development celebrates diversity, and strives to create a safe and inclusive working environment where everyone is treated equally, with dignity, and with respect. We highly encourage candidates from diverse and under-represented backgrounds to apply, even those that may not directly meet every qualification listed for this role.
This is a full-time, remote working role, with competitive compensation and a full suite of benefits available anywhere in the United States. All team members may be asked to occasionally travel for key meetings, as part of their job responsibilities. We're required to include a reasonable estimate of the compensation range for this role. Compensation decisions are dependent on the unique facts and circumstances of each case, but a reasonable estimate of the current base salary range for this role is $115,000 - $130,000.
We review and update our salary range bands at OtherSide Entertainment on an annual basis to provide transparency to the expected base salary ranges on our job posts externally as well as internally. Most in-house employee roles also include discretionary variable bonus compensation as well as long-term incentive. Our recruiter will share more details about bonus and LTI for this role in your screening or throughout your interview process as it becomes available. Final compensation determinations are dependent on the unique facts and circumstances of each case and will take into account a wide variety of factors, including but not limited to skill, qualifications, accomplishments, experience, credentials, and business needs. We look forward to and welcome discussion on this topic at any time during the interview process.
OtherSide Entertainment is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please contact us.