Otak, Inc. is looking to hire a wetland scientist to join our Water and Natural Resources team to work on a wide spectrum of site analysis, design, and implementation projects throughout the Pacific Northwest. Current work will include opportunities to partner with multi-disciplinary teams on both public and private projects across the Puget Sound region and in southwest Washington, including culvert replacements for fish passage and linear transportation and utility improvement projects. Our scientists work with Otak offices in Portland, Oregon and Vancouver, Everett, and Redmond, Washington.
Note: For questions about this position, please contact Jeff Gray at Jeff.Gray@otak.com
What You’ll Do:
- Conduct wetland delineations utilizing Army Corps of Engineers methodologies and complete wetland ratings (e.g., functional assessments) using Washington Department of Ecology’s rating systems
- Complete OHWM delineations in marine and freshwater systems
- Prepare wetland and stream delineation and critical areas reports
- Prepare regulatory compliance documentation and permit applications (e.g., JARPA, SEPA, Shoreline)
- Manage environmental tasks and projects
- Create and maintain effective client relationships and assess regulatory environmental requirements in Oregon and Washington.
What you Need:
- Bachelor’s degree in Wetland Science, Botany, Biology, Soil Science, Wildlife biology, or related disciplines.
- 5+ years of experience as a wetland scientist, project biologist, or related discipline.
- Society of Wetland Scientists’ WPIT or PWS certification preferred.
- Experience with Endangered Species Act compliance and/or PNW fisheries a plus.
- Experience with local, state, and Federal regulatory programs in Washington and Oregon is preferred, including work on NEPA related documents for federally-funded projects.
- Ability to use a GPS (GeoXH 6000 or similar) in the field and proficient in GIS a plus.
- Must have a solid knowledge of ecological processes and regulatory considerations, and be able to communicate site restrictions effectively with the design team to inform solutions for complex problems.
- Experience focused on aquatic resources (wetlands, streams & rivers, near-shore environments), permitting and regulatory requirements, and fish and wildlife/habitat issues preferred.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with the ability to communicate effectively within a multi-disciplinary design team context, with public and private clients, and with agency staff preferred.
Otak is the premier water resources firm in the Pacific Northwest. Our scientists and water resource engineers have a reputation for sound knowledge, creative solutions and responsive customer service. Our team of scientists and engineers are highly educated and experienced in the fields of ecology, wetland science, water quality, wildlife biology, fluvial geomorphology, botany, aquatic biology and fisheries.
Are you interested in joining a team that has rewarding projects and is creating smart and sustainable communities that will be our legacy? If this sounds like you, please contact us today. We are always looking for exceptional and talented employees who are passionate about the solutions we provide to our clients.
We encourage you to come and be a part of the Otak team. Otak is an Equal Opportunity Employer.