Otak, Inc. is seeking to hire a Senior Building Engineer to work in our Vancouver, WA office. The primary duty of the Senior Building Engineer will include serving as a technical expert in engineering analysis and design for all structural aspects in support of architecturally designed and site development structures, perform complex structural planning, and have a proven background of technical leadership on these types of projects. Other duties also include the supervision of junior engineers in the performance of engineering tasks.
What You’ll Do:
- Manage and lead structure designers/technicians in development of plans and calculations for buildings
- Perform design services matching local, state and federal design standards, especially National Parks Service standards
- Prepare and lead preparation of construction plans using AutoCAD and/or Revit
- Prepare specifications and cost estimates
- Plan and coordinate projects with limited supervision
- Assist in assigning duties and schedules to team members
- Participate and support preparing proposals and project scope, schedule, and budget
- Participate in Business Development based on strong client relationships
- Provide construction support services
- Perform other structures related design tasks as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil or Structural Engineering
- Registered Structural Engineer
- 10+ years of proven experience in all aspects of building structural engineering working directly with architecture and public Clients
- Solid client services and business development skills are required
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office software, current structural software applications
- Proficiency and familiarity with applicable Codes, including specialty codes such as the Oregon Structures Specialty Code, Washington State Building Code, etc.
- Demonstrated leadership skills, strong written and verbal communication skills and the ability to work with various teams throughout the organization
Why work at Otak?
When you work at Otak, you aren’t just joining a firm — you’re joining a community. We believe our best work happens in a culture of collaboration and inclusion, where the expertise of diverse individuals can thrive in a foundation of teamwork. The work environment we create is built on a simple concept: working on interesting projects with interesting people. However, we don’t just believe in cultivating our own community; we’re also committed to enriching the communities around us with smart, creative solutions. We know our employees make an investment in us, so we’re committed to making an investment in them. Seasoned experts and young professionals work together to encourage personal growth and skill development at all experience levels. Plus, we’re expanding — and we’re dedicated to developing an internal infrastructure with the strength and talent to support that growth.
Otak employees have a progressive mindset and sustainable community perspective. We encourage our staff to volunteer in their communities by giving them an option to earn extra vacation time for their volunteer hours. Otak combines the best of a small firm mentality with strong collaboration across disciplines with the plentiful opportunities to work on exciting projects offered by a growing firm. We also encourage life balance and foster a fun work environment. Our Northwest sensibilities are reflected in our commitment to sustainability and diversity. And believing that diversity fosters innovation and strengthens our skills, we embrace a culture of inclusion and equity in our company and in our communities.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability. We will provide reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with a disability where appropriate.
Sound like a place you’d like to spend some time and advance your career? Join us! Please apply online and include a cover letter that sells your skills with your resume.