Otak is seeking an experienced, collaborative, and strategically minded Senior Architect professional to join our team and lead our growing public architecture business company-wide, as the Architecture Public Sector Leader. This person will be working on all phases of management of the architecture business, including: preparing business plans, meeting performance goals and targets, business development, contracts, design, project management, and working with clients on diverse public projects. This position will require working directly with our Business Unit Leaders as well as our senior architecture team to identify growth markets and establish overall growth strategies for the group.
Experience with local, state, federal, and educational agencies is preferred. The role will require excellent skills in business development, building teams, design, project delivery, quality assurance, and setting/meeting financial goals. This individual should be a highly self-motivated leader, able to demonstrate outstanding written and verbal communication skills, have a proven and successful history of managing/leading public sector projects. Leadership qualities should include the ability to motivate and mentor staff, foster a culture of teamwork, inspire creativity, as well as manage the financial performance of the public sector architecture team.
What You’ll Do:
- In collaboration with the Director of Architecture + the Public Studio Leader and within the framework of Otak’s overall Strategic Business Plan, develop and implement the Architecture Public Sector Business Plan.
- Identify target segments and clients to pursue within the market sector and build relationships with new clients that align well with the goals in the Architecture Public Sector Business Plan.
- Partner with Public Studio leader, Project Managers and key clients to monitor and enhance client satisfaction and oversee corrective actions in response to negative client feedback including taking on day-to-day project management responsibilities when needed.
- Monitor the market sector’s key performance indicators including revenue, profit, accounts receivable, utilization, backlog, and project variances and write-offs and correct deficiencies as needed.
- Foster a nurturing environment that helps develop others and motivates them to grow within both the Business Unit and the organization as a whole. Collaborate with other leaders in the Business Unit to create opportunities for mentorship and training to ensure competency of staff based on roles and responsibilities.
- Provide operational management and vision within the overall Business Unit, inspiring the team to ensure that Otak’s vision, mission and values are fulfilled while achieving financial and operational benchmarks.
What You'll Need:
- At least 25+ years of professional experience in the architectural field in the public sector markets described above
- Bachelor’s or Masters’ degree in Architecture or similar discipline from an Accredited program
- NCARB certificate is preferred (required upon employment) and Oregon and Washington state architecture licensure is desired
- Documented experience leading and mentoring an architectural team of 15+ staff within a larger organization
- Experienced in business development and driving revenue growth, preferably in target markets, Oregon, Washington, and Colorado
- Experience preparing annual business plans and meeting business plan targets
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills, both verbal and written
- Must have strong organizational and time management skills
- Must work well in a team environment and collaborate across departments throughout the organization
- LEED Accredited Professional or other sustainable accreditations
- Strong business skills
- Evidence of deep portfolio in at leas tone of three markets: Local, State, or Educational
- High emotional intelligence and empathy skills
- Knowledge and commitment to fostering equity, diversity, and inclusion into our practice
- Knowledge and experience with computer-aided design software such as AutoCAD and/or REVIT
- Familiarity with MS Office Suite and Deltek Vision
Otak is a multi-disciplinary design firm that is focused on creating great places and enhancing the natural environment. As Architects at Otak, we listen and respond as much as we design. We listen to clients and to communities, and design landscapes and public spaces that meet the public’s needs along with the needs of the environment. By defining the opportunities and constraints of development, we achieve an optimal blend of sustainable architecture.
Are you interested in joining a team that has rewarding projects and is creating a smart and sustainable infrastructure that will be our legacy? If this sounds like you, please contact us today. We are always looking for exceptional and talented employees who are passionate about the solutions we provide to our clients. We encourage you to come and be a part of the Otak team.
Otak is an Equal Opportunity Employer.