Otak is looking to hire a Construction Project Manager for our Portland or Vancouver office. This person will be responsible for supervising, directing, and coordinating construction management activities of public works/transportation projects.
The Construction Project Manager will provide leadership in the Construction Management and Inspection (CMI) group while managing construction projects. The primary responsibilities include project management while developing client relationships and developing the business. The ideal candidate is a seller-doer who combines excellent project delivery with an understanding of how to increase business with existing clients and market Otak’s services to new clients.
Summary of Qualifications:
The ideal candidate for this position is:
- A respected professional with 15+ years of related experience or equivalent combination of experience and education in construction management and inspection work
- Experienced in more than one area of construction (e.g. transportation, bridge, utilities)
- A customer-oriented seller-doer who understands how to deliver high quality work, sell Otak’s services, and grow the CMI business.
- Knowledgeable about the market and the competition
- A leader who inspires trust and respect from his/her team.
- A leader who provides vision and motivation to the team
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Long Term Strategy
In collaboration with the CMI Business Unit Leader and within the framework of Otak’s long range Strategic Plan, is a contributor to planning the overall direction for the a CMI team.
- Evaluates progress toward achievement of project goals and leads the team in course corrections as needed.
- Monitors project performance including: revenue, profit, accounts receivable, utilization, and write-offs.
In collaboration with the Regional Managers (RMs) and Business Unit Leaders (BULs) identifies current and future opportunities in key markets, identifies possible clients within the various markets, positions Otak for success with those clients, and coordinates business development activities.
- Coordinates with the RMs and Project Managers (PMs) to monitor and enhance client satisfaction, and oversees PM corrective actions in response to observations or feedback.
- Coordinates with administrative and marketing staff to develop CMI-specific marketing materials as needed.
- Monitors workload and resource planning, and coordinates work sharing. Coordinates with RMs and BULs in developing plans for each team member to meet worked hours and direct hours goals.
- Coordinates with the RM and BUL in determining staffing needs.
- Evaluates current team, determines staff desires for development and areas of weakness in technical knowledge, and identifies technical training opportunities based on this evaluation.
Project Management & Delivery
- Responsible for planning, directing, managing, supervising and evaluating all capital improvement projects, programs and activities from design phase, bid process, and construction.
- Monitors, reviews and inspects the construction progress of staff and contractors engaged in projects to ensure compliance with applicable regulations.
- Perform site inspections and document the findings; ensure quality of workmanship and compliance with contract plans and specifications; submit status reports.
- Ensure code compliance reviews and inspections are conducted throughout all phases of design and construction.
- Make immediate decisions on site for discovered items and design deficiencies so as to not delay the project.
- Supervises and mentors assigned staff.
- Conducts business in accordance with the firm’s policies and applicable laws.
- Responsibilities may include collaborating on interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing and managing work; approving timesheets and expense reports; appraising performance; staff development and coachin; rewarding and disciplining employees;
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
- Professional Engineering License in Oregon, Washington or Colorado
- Must have a valid driver’s license and a good driving record.