This position can be based in Denver or Louisville
Otak is looking to hire a Senior Engineer/Project Manager to join our Water and Natural Resources team in our Denver office or Louisville office. This position will be responsible for leading and managing water resources planning and design projects, directing data analyses and design calculations, writing reports, leading the preparation of design drawings and specifications, and the review of work performed by others.
The Senior Engineer / Project Manager will be supporting project and development initiatives, such as: stream and river restoration, hydrologic, hydraulic, and geomorphic analyses, bioengineering, urban stormwater retrofit, stormwater treatment/management, flood hazard mitigation, and infrastructure planning.
Typical job responsibilities include:
- Managing small to large river restoration and water resources planning and design projects across Colorado, including overseeing financials, schedule, deliverables, and quality control.
- Independently planning, coordinating, leading, and managing projects in water resources planning and engineering.
- Working with Colorado Regional Director, WNR Group Manager, and other WNR Senior Project Managers to review and coordinate project implementation; including estimating manpower needs to meet completion dates and scopes.
- Actively participating or assisting in new business development across market sectors (public, private and federal clients) with direction from WNR Group Manager and Colorado Region Business Development Leader. Contributing to strategic planning, preparing technical approaches for proposals and SOQs, and business operations planning.
- Acting as a mentor to technical staff across the company, including developing junior staff technical skills in field of river hydraulics modeling and engineering.
- Preparing technical papers and attending strategic conferences to identify emerging technologies and understanding and researching issues related to water resources in Colorado.
- Provide quality assurance by performing control reviews on analyses, reports, and marketing materials
- Overseeing/preparing design drawings, specifications, and reports, including floodplain and watershed studies
- Preparing cost and schedule estimates
- Bachelor’s Degree in civil engineering, water resources, or environmental engineering is required. Master’s Degree preferred.
- Must have approximately fifteen (15) years of previous Engineering / Project Management experience and experience leading the preparation of construction documents for project designs supported by hydrologic, hydraulic, and geomorphic calculations.
- Must be able to work in a multi-discipline, team-oriented environment.
- Must have outstanding written and verbal communication skills and strong independent work ethic.
- Experience with project management tools (EVS, work breakdown schedule, project reporting)
- Experience with water resource models such as HEC-RAS, HEC-HMS, SRH2D, FlowMaster, XP-SWMM, etc.
- Professional Engineer (PE) license in Colorado.
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite, GIS, AutoCAD, or MicroStation.
Why work at Otak?
When you work at Otak, you aren’t just joining a firm — you’re joining a community. We believe our best work happens in a culture of collaboration and inclusion, where the expertise of diverse individuals can thrive in a foundation of teamwork. The work environment we create is built on a simple concept: working on interesting projects with interesting people. However, we don’t just believe in cultivating our own community; we’re also committed to enriching the communities around us with smart, creative solutions. We know our employees make an investment in us, so we’re committed to making an investment in them. Otak scientists and engineers are highly educated and experienced in the fields of ecology, wetland science, water quality, wildlife biology, fluvial geomorphology, botany, aquatic biology and fisheries.
Otak employees have a progressive mindset and sustainable community perspective. We encourage our staff to volunteer in their communities by giving them an option to earn extra vacation time for their volunteer hours. Otak combines the best of a small firm mentality with strong collaboration across disciplines with the plentiful opportunities to work on exciting projects offered by a growing firm. We also encourage life balance and foster a fun work environment. Our Northwest sensibilities are reflected in our commitment to sustainability and diversity. And believing that diversity fosters innovation and strengthens our skills, we embrace a culture of inclusion and equity in our company and in our communities.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability. We will provide reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with a disability where appropriate.
Sound like a place you’d like to spend some time and advance your career? Join us! Please apply online and include a cover letter that sells your skills with your resume.