Do you see dense paragraphs of text and think, “a beautiful photo would tell this story better?” Do you view creating persuasive, engaging, and sophisticated collateral as an opportunity to leverage your skills and grow your career? Are you fascinated with the “nuts and bolts” of creating informative and persuasive visual materials for marketing communications? If so, we’d like to have you join the Otak marketing team as a Graphic Designer!
We are currently recruiting for a full-time graphic designer in our Portland office. As an integrated member of the marketing team, you will coordinate and develop various types of graphic designs and layouts for proposals and marketing materials, driving projects from conception through production and submittal. You will have many opportunities to produce visual materials such as statements of qualifications, proposals, interview support and marketing collateral. You will be part of a creative team that prepares website content, social media posts, and other graphic or visual displays. As a member of the marketing team, you will be responsible for coordinating the design and layout for marketing materials, with a focus on persuasive, visually stunning client-facing proposals. Having recently completed a rebrand and new website launch, you will also work closely with our senior designer to help maintain brand consistency, ensure work aligns with brand standards, and have opportunities to contribute in very meaningful ways while expanding your skills.
Otak is home to many creative planning, design, and construction service professionals. Our culture is driven by a passion for both the natural and built environments and finding just the right balance in design. Believing that diversity fosters innovation and strengthens our skills, we’re working to build a culture of equity and inclusion so everyone has a level playing field. And, as one of the country’s fastest-growing firms of our size, we attract passionate, creative people who truly believe in our transformational mission. At Otak, we’re forging stronger connections between people and their communities.
What you'll do:
- Provide client-appropriate and visually stunning lay-out and design of marketing materials
- Design and production of marketing and business development materials, including:
- Persuasive and illustrative Statements of Qualifications and proposals (covers, tabs/dividers, schedules, infographics, organizational charts, etc.)
- Interviews and presentations (slide decks, webinar, video, boards, leave-behinds, etc.) using innovative presentation tools and methods
- Award submittals, portfolios, brochures, booklets, posters, advertisements, banners, wall graphics, signage and more!
- Selecting, editing and using project photography
- Working with senior graphic designers and pursuit managers in other offices
- Website, blog, and social media support
What you have:
- Bachelor’s degree in visual communications or graphic design
- Minimum 2-4 years of relevant experience in design, layout, and production
- Experience with retail, hospitality, life-style brand in both in-house and agency roles
- Interest in, or familiarity with the built and natural environment and how architecture, urban design and planning, and engineering effectively present their work
- Dedication to best practices and cutting edge of graphic design and visual communication
What you bring:
- Demonstrated advanced skills in InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, and PowerPoint
- Intermediate skills in other Microsoft Office Suite applications and SketchUp
- Ability to work under tight deadlines and manage several projects at once
- Demonstrated experience as a strategic, creative contributor to the marketing team
- Demonstrated time management skills to keep project assignments on schedule and achieve set objectives
- Working knowledge of WordPress
- Advanced verbal and visual communication skills
Why work at Otak?
When you work at Otak, you aren’t just joining a firm — you’re joining a community. We believe our best work happens in a culture of collaboration and inclusion, where the expertise of diverse individuals can thrive in a foundation of teamwork. The work environment we create is built on a simple concept: working on interesting projects with interesting people. However, we don’t just believe in cultivating our own community; we’re also committed to enriching the communities around us with smart, creative solutions. We know our employees make an investment in us, so we’re committed to making an investment in them. Seasoned experts and young professionals work together to encourage personal growth and skill development at all experience levels. Plus, we’re expanding — and we’re dedicated to developing an internal infrastructure with the strength and talent to support that growth.
Otak employees have a progressive mindset and sustainable community perspective. We encourage our staff to volunteer in their communities by giving them an option to earn extra vacation time for their volunteer hours. Otak combines the best of a small firm mentality with strong collaboration across disciplines with the plentiful opportunities to work on exciting projects offered by a growing firm. We also encourage life balance and foster a fun work environment. Our Northwest sensibilities are reflected in our commitment to sustainability and diversity. And believing that diversity fosters innovation and strengthens our skills, we embrace a culture of inclusion and equity in our company and in our communities.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability. We will provide reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with a disability where appropriate.
Sound like a place you’d like to spend some time and advance your career? Join us! Please apply online and include your portfolio (or a link to your site), and a cover letter that sells your skills with your resume.