Otak is currently looking to hire a Bridge Engineer / EIT to join our bridge group in the Puget Sound market. This person should have an interest in bridge and structural engineering, a willingness to understand and assimilate knowledge of WSDOT and AASHTO bridge standards and specifications. This person will be part of an energetic and creative team that will be working alongside surveyors, scientists, stream/river specialists, roadway designers, and landscape architects.
What you’ll do:
- Perform engineering calculations and analysis for transportation related structures including roadway and foot bridges, retaining walls, buildings, landscaping structures and civil structures under the supervision of a licensed engineer
- Communicate with other disciplines and with clients through reports, phone calls, memorandums, etc.
- Prepare engineering sketches and drawings by hand and in CAD (AutoCAD and/or MicroStation) for use in construction drawings
- Participate in structural inspections, including climbing hillsides and on ladders, crawling through openings, sometimes in inclement weather.
What you have:
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil or Structural Engineering is required; Master’s degree is preferred
- Engineer-in-Training (EIT) certification or successfully passed Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) examination is required
- Knowledge/experience in bridge and structural engineering, experience with WSDOT and AASHTO Bridge standards and specifications is desirable; interest in familiarizing with these codes is required.
- Proficient in structural design software and AutoCAD and/or MicroStation is a plus and will be a requirement of training in this position
- Solid understanding of structural mechanics and construction details
- Strong attention to detail and ability to multi-task
Why work at Otak?
When you work at Otak, you aren’t just joining a firm — you’re joining a community. We believe our best work happens in a culture of collaboration and inclusion, where the expertise of diverse individuals can thrive in a foundation of teamwork. The work environment we create is built on a simple concept: working on interesting projects with interesting people. However, we don’t just believe in cultivating our own community; we’re also committed to enriching the communities around us with smart, creative solutions. We know our employees make an investment in us, so we’re committed to making an investment in them. Seasoned experts and young professionals work together to encourage personal growth and skill development at all experience levels. Plus, we’re expanding — and we’re dedicated to developing an internal infrastructure with the strength and talent to support that growth.
Otak employees have a progressive mindset and sustainable community perspective. We encourage our staff to volunteer in their communities by giving them an option to earn extra vacation time for their volunteer hours. Otak combines the best of a small firm mentality with strong collaboration across disciplines with the plentiful opportunities to work on exciting projects offered by a growing firm. We also encourage life balance and foster a fun work environment. Our Northwest sensibilities are reflected in our commitment to sustainability and diversity. And believing that diversity fosters innovation and strengthens our skills, we embrace a culture of inclusion and equity in our company and in our communities.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability. We will provide reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with a disability where appropriate.
Sound like a place you’d like to spend some time and advance your career? Join us! Please apply online,