Otak Inc., an award-winning A/E/C firm, is looking to hire an entry level Civil Designer/EIT for our Transportation and Infrastructure team in Vancouver WA. This is a great opportunity to be part of a multi-discipline, team oriented environment where you will be responsible to collect and analyze data, perform design calculations consistent with AASHTO and local agency standards, develop horizontal and vertical alignments, calculate quantities, write reports, prepare design drawings and details using AutoCAD, MicroStation, GIS and prepare project specifications using Microsoft Office software.
This position will work on a variety of projects including public roadway improvements, private site design, and being part of larger teams for large public agency projects around SW Washington and NW Oregon. This position will work on a wide variety of projects throughout the Southwest Washington and Portland, Oregon region including municipal roadway, grading, drainage, utility, and civic projects for various clients. This person will be working on multi-disciplinary projects and using engineering judgment to transform design concepts into construction drawings and technical specifications. The ideal candidate will be self-motivated with an enthusiastic, team-oriented attitude.
Otak’s Civil Engineers have extensive experience with all facets of roadway/transportation design, including urban street and highway, rural and recreational, pedestrian and bicycle systems, bridges, and multimodal facilities. Our infrastructure experience also includes site development, storm drainage, sanitary sewer, and water supply systems. Otak’s engineering designs blend aesthetic appeal into the character of the community while improving essential infrastructure.
What you’ll do:
- Performs design services related to roadway and site layout, grading, drainage, utilities, and erosion control in conformance with local, state and federal regulations
- Analyzes reports, maps, drawings, tests, aerial photographs of terrain, existing and proposed characteristics, and other topographical and geologic data to plan and design projects
- Assists with the preparation of construction plans
- Assists with the preparation of specifications and cost estimates
- Provides construction support services
What you have:
- Bachelor's Degree with 0-2 years experience; Master's Degree in Civil Engineering preferred.
- Experience and/or graduate studies in civil engineering or transportation.
- Engineer-in-training certificate or ability to obtain within first year of employment.
- Experience with AutoCAD Civil 3D, MicroStation, GIS and Microsoft Office software preferred.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong attention to detail and ability to multi-task.
- Proven ability to work independently.
- Construction experience is a plus
Why work at Otak?
When you work at Otak, you aren’t just joining a firm — you’re joining a community. We believe our best work happens in a culture of collaboration and inclusion, where the expertise of diverse individuals can thrive in a foundation of teamwork. The work environment we create is built on a simple concept: working on interesting projects with interesting people. However, we don’t just believe in cultivating our own community; we’re also committed to enriching the communities around us with smart, creative solutions. We know our employees make an investment in us, so we’re committed to making an investment in them. Seasoned experts and young professionals work together to encourage personal growth and skill development at all experience levels. Plus, we’re expanding — and we’re dedicated to developing an internal infrastructure with the strength and talent to support that growth.
Otak employees have a progressive mindset and sustainable community perspective. We encourage our staff to volunteer in their communities by giving them an option to earn extra vacation time for their volunteer hours. Otak combines the best of a small firm mentality with strong collaboration across disciplines with the plentiful opportunities to work on exciting projects offered by a growing firm. We also encourage life balance and foster a fun work environment. Our Northwest sensibilities are reflected in our commitment to sustainability and diversity. And believing that diversity fosters innovation and strengthens our skills, we embrace a culture of inclusion and equity in our company and in our communities.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability. We will provide reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with a disability where appropriate.
Sound like a place you’d like to spend some time and advance your career? Join us! Please apply online and include a cover letter that sells your skills with your resume.