Otak is seeking to hire a Survey Department Manager or Senior PLS for our Redmond, WA office. This person will report to, coordinate with, and take direction from the Redmond Geography Manager and the Portland based Director of Surveying. Responsibilities of this position will be coordinating local aspects of surveying operations that will include; project surveying & mapping, business development, coordination of multiple projects, management of personnel, and quality control. Our team works with many communities around the area on a broad range of municipal and private projects. In support of these projects, the successful candidate will routinely perform boundary research, calculations, resolution, and preparation of right of way plans, maps and legal descriptions as essential functions of this position.
Otak’s Redmond Survey group has a significant internal client base with great potential to expand capacity to serve local and regional clients. Primarily focused on public works, the survey group supports road way, stormwater, and transit projects, as well as park, trail, bridge, and school projects.
You will be responsible for:
- Research, calculations, resolution of boundaries and rights of ways.
- Preparation and review of right of way plans and legal descriptions for right of way acquisition.
- Preparation and review of topographic mapping.
- Managing local and regional survey projects. Responsible for planning, scheduling, conducting and coordinating the technical aspects of projects
- The financial success of surveying projects.
- The final quality assurance and quality control.
- New business development activities that enhance existing municipal relationships, as well as cultivating new relationships on behalf of Otak.
- Preparing proposals, pricing, budgets, and change orders.
- Managing the Redmond survey team, including training and development, estimating personnel needs, assigning work, meeting completion dates, and interpreting and ensuring consistent application of standards.
- Managing material resources including evaluating, recommending purchases, and seeing to the appropriate use of equipment, vehicles, and other materials needed to accomplish survey work.
- Making recommendations regarding employment decisions such as staff selection, hiring, pay, promotion, transfer, demotion or termination
What you have:
- Minimum of 5 years of experience managing, supervising and directing work of survey crews, or 10 years of land surveying experience and the desire and demonstrated ability to grown into a survey management position.
- Must be registered as a Land Surveyor (LS) in the state of Washington or the ability to acquire Washington State registration within 6 months of hire.
- Experience with Business Development activities, proposal preparation and submission, and contract and subcontract execution.
- Proficient with recent versions of AutoCAD, Trimble Business Center or Starnet, and Microsoft Office. Microstation experience is positive.
- Effective leadership and excellent communication skills.
Why work at Otak?
When you work at Otak, you aren’t just joining a firm — you’re joining a community. We believe our best work happens in a culture of collaboration and inclusion, where the expertise of diverse individuals can thrive in a foundation of teamwork. The work environment we create is built on a simple concept: working on interesting projects with interesting people. However, we don’t just believe in cultivating our own community; we’re also committed to enriching the communities around us with smart, creative solutions. We know our employees make an investment in us, so we’re committed to making an investment in them. Seasoned experts and young professionals work together to encourage personal growth and skill development at all experience levels. Plus, we’re expanding — and we’re dedicated to developing an internal infrastructure with the strength and talent to support that growth.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability. We will provide reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with a disability where appropriate.
Sound like a place you’d like to spend some time and advance your career? Join us! Please apply online and include a cover letter that sells your skills with your resume.