Otak is looking to hire an experienced Survey Field Technician to work out of our Portland office. Our team works with many communities around the area on a broad range of municipal and private projects. This person will perform various tasks including field data collection, boundary and easement surveys, topographic mapping for engineering design, and construction staking. The Survey Field Technician should have a general understanding of surveying techniques and procedures.
Whether working in an urban space or rural destination, establishing spatial relationships and physical boundaries is one of the most important aspects for a successful project. Under Otak’s expert watch, survey and mapping are also essential tools for cost-effective completion of any building or engineering project. Otak’s teams of professionals are motivated to provide high level of service to our clients.
What you’ll do:
- Work closely with crew chief and office staff to ensure complete and accurate data collection, note keeping, site photos and field sketches
- Operate survey instruments, including levels, total station, data collectors and GPS equipment
- Perform maintenance of field equipment and maintain supplies
- Performs mathematical calculations and field checking of field data
What you have:
- A minimum of 2 year survey experience on a survey field crew
- Must be experienced in controlling the function of surveying instruments and calculators
- Experience with boundary, topographic, ALTA, as-built surveys and construction staking
- Valid driver's license including a good driving record and ability to meet company insurance requirements
- Basic surveying knowledge and intermediate math skills which include trigonometry and geometry
- Know basic sources of measurement errors
- Read and understand plans and specifications
- Work with survey and engineering staff to meet the goals of the project in a safe and efficient manner
- Must be able to understand and follow verbal and written instructions
- Ability to work outdoors for a minimum of eight (8) hours per day, walking long distances, and sometimes difficult physical demands, and work a flexible schedule and overtime as needed
- Must be willing to travel; occasional overnight travel may be required during the work week
Why work at Otak?
When you work at Otak, you aren’t just joining a firm — you’re joining a community. We believe our best work happens in a culture of collaboration and inclusion, where the expertise of diverse individuals can thrive in a foundation of teamwork. The work environment we create is built on a simple concept: working on interesting projects with interesting people. However, we don’t just believe in cultivating our own community; we’re also committed to enriching the communities around us with smart, creative solutions. We know our employees make an investment in us, so we’re committed to making an investment in them. Seasoned experts and young professionals work together to encourage personal growth and skill development at all experience levels. Plus, we’re expanding — and we’re dedicated to developing an internal infrastructure with the strength and talent to support that growth.
Otak employees have a progressive mindset and sustainable community perspective. We encourage our staff to volunteer in their communities by giving them an option to earn extra vacation time for their volunteer hours. Otak combines the best of a small firm mentality with strong collaboration across disciplines with the plentiful opportunities to work on exciting projects offered by a growing firm. We also encourage life balance and foster a fun work environment. Our Northwest sensibilities are reflected in our commitment to sustainability and diversity. And believing that diversity fosters innovation and strengthens our skills, we embrace a culture of inclusion and equity in our company and in our communities.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability. We will provide reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with a disability where appropriate.
Sound like a place you’d like to spend some time and advance your career? Join us! Please apply online and include a cover letter that sells your skills with your resume.