Energy Trust of Oregon’s 2019 Net Zero Emerging Leaders Internship Grant opportunity!!
Otak Architects is seeking a part time intern to run energy use intensity analyses of past and current Oregon projects and report findings into the AIA 2030 Challenge DDx database. The intern selected will work closely with design staff in determining project energy performance and will gain experience in energy analysis and its role in high performance design. The intern will also gain knowledge of the processes related to the AIA 2030 Challenge and will have the opportunity to collaborate with fellow interns to improve the efficiency and accuracy of reporting to the database.
This position is sponsored via a grant from the Energy Trust of Oregon and the intern selected will be required to present at an event at the end of the internship to explain their experience and findings. The position will require a minimum of 15 hours a week from January through March of 2020. Students available to work up to and exceeding 25 hours a week will be strongly preferred. Familiarity with Revit, SketchUp and Sefaira are also desired qualities of perspective interns. Additional grant requirements:
What you'll do:
- Gain experience with documenting energy use intensity.
- Run energy analyses of all past and current Oregon based projects using Sefaira via Revit and SketchUp.
- Provide a report of the findings for each project and upload the information to the AIA 2030 Challenge DDx database.
- Coordinate with fellow interns at other firms to explore ways to improve the data reporting process and expedite energy analysis within the design process.
- Coordinate with Energy Trust of Oregon to compose a presentation explaining your experience and findings
- Present your findings to the AIA at an event concluding the internship.
What you bring:
- Experience with Revit, SketchUp, and Sefaira preferred
- Knowledge about sustainability and integrated design
- Knowledge of Building Information Modeling (BIM) and Project Delivery methods
- Excellent organizational and file management skills
- Clear and comprehensive communication skills.
- Must be pursuing a bachelors or masters degree in Architecture or Engineering
Why work at Otak?
When you work at Otak, you aren’t just joining a firm — you’re joining a community. We believe our best work happens in a culture of collaboration and inclusion, where the expertise of diverse individuals can thrive in a foundation of teamwork. The work environment we create is built on a simple concept: working on interesting projects with interesting people. However, we don’t just believe in cultivating our own community; we’re also committed to enriching the communities around us with smart, creative solutions. We know our employees make an investment in us, so we’re committed to making an investment in them. Seasoned experts and young professionals work together to encourage personal growth and skill development at all experience levels. Plus, we’re expanding — and we’re dedicated to developing an internal infrastructure with the strength and talent to support that growth.
Otak employees have a progressive mindset and sustainable community perspective. We encourage our staff to volunteer in their communities by giving them an option to earn extra vacation time for their volunteer hours. Otak combines the best of a small firm mentality with strong collaboration across disciplines with the plentiful opportunities to work on exciting projects offered by a growing firm. We also encourage life balance and foster a fun work environment. Our Northwest sensibilities are reflected in our commitment to sustainability and diversity. And believing that diversity fosters innovation and strengthens our skills, we embrace a culture of inclusion and equity in our company and in our communities.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability. We will provide reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with a disability where appropriate.
Sound like an opportunity to add to your resume? Join us! Please apply online and include a cover letter that sells your skills with your resume.