Are you ready to work with a collaborative, fun, high-energy planning, landscape architecture, and urban design team? Otak’s Redmond, Washington office is looking for someone to join our team with a variety of skills and a strong passion for planning and urban design. The ideal candidate for this entry level Planner/Urban Design position will have a bachelors or masters degree in planning from a PAB-accredited planning program and will be proficient in a variety of planning and design programs and tasks. This position will be an integral and important part of planning and urban design teams in their work on a wide variety of projects: subarea plans, station area plans, neighborhood plans, tourism and economic development planning, code analysis and development, corridor planning, multimodal and complete streets plans, public realm master planning, facility and site master planning, parks and trails planning, and many other assignments.
The position will primarily support the Redmond, Washington team, but may also be shared with other offices periodically.
- Support a variety of planning, analytical, and research tasks.
- Ability to support a design-based planning approach that helps clients and the public visualize potential planning outcomes through high quality, 2D and 3D illustrations and renderings to communicate design and urban planning solutions.
- Mapping, geographic layers analysis, analytical charts and tables, info graphics, and other types of graphic support to a wide variety of interdisciplinary projects.
- Interest and experience in writing and preparing plans, studies, staff reports, environmental analysis documents, and other publications.
- Support with public, community, and stakeholder engagement activities.
- Provide assistance to projects such as documenting meeting outcomes with detailed notes and setting up meetings and communication platforms, with the ability to support online/web meetings through Otak’s systems.
- Prepare client presentations and present design concepts, drawings, models, etc.
- Entitlement and planning/zoning code analysis to determine density and site yield/restrictions.
- Bachelors or Masters degree in urban planning/planning from a PAB-accredited planning program
- 0 to 3 years working in the fields of planning and/or urban design for either public or private sector clients.
- Knowledge of city and county plans, zoning codes, applicable codes, and implications on design
- Proficiency in GIS, as well as experience working with the Adobe Creative Suite programs, Sketch-Up, Photoshop, Illustrator, and other graphic programs.
- Knowledge of the Puget Sound and Washington state planning context is a plus.
Why work at Otak?
When you work at Otak, you aren’t just joining a firm — you’re joining a community. We believe our best work happens in a culture of collaboration and inclusion, where the expertise of diverse individuals can thrive in a foundation of teamwork. The work environment we create is built on a simple concept: working on interesting projects with interesting people. However, we don’t just believe in cultivating our own community; we’re also committed to enriching the communities around us with smart, creative solutions. We know our employees make an investment in us, so we’re committed to making an investment in them. Seasoned experts and young professionals work together to encourage personal growth and skill development at all experience levels. Plus, we’re expanding — and we’re dedicated to developing an internal infrastructure with the strength and talent to support that growth.
Otak employees have a progressive mindset and sustainable community perspective. We encourage our staff to volunteer in their communities by giving them an option to earn extra vacation time for their volunteer hours. Otak combines the best of a small firm mentality with strong collaboration across disciplines with the plentiful opportunities to work on exciting projects offered by a growing firm. We also encourage life balance and foster a fun work environment. Our Northwest sensibilities are reflected in our commitment to sustainability and diversity. And believing that diversity fosters innovation and strengthens our skills, we embrace a culture of inclusion and equity in our company and in our communities.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability. We will provide reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with a disability where appropriate.
Sound like a place you’d like to spend some time and advance your career? Join us! Please apply online and include a cover letter that sells your skills with your resume.