Otak is looking to hire an experienced Survey Crew Chief or Senior Survey Field Technician to work out of our Portland, Oregon office. Our team works with many communities around the area on a broad range of municipal and private projects. This person will be responsible for or be an integral part of a one or two-person field crew to complete field survey duties accurately and on time, as well as have a strong drive to find ways to integrate the latest surveying technologies into Otak's workflows.
Whether working in an urban space or rural destination, establishing spatial relationships and physical boundaries is one of the most important aspects for a successful project. Under Otak’s expert watch, survey and mapping are also essential tools for cost-effective completion of any building or engineering project. Otak’s teams of professionals are motivated to provide high level of service to our clients.
- Lead or be a part of a survey crew using primarily Trimble Robotic Total Station and GPS to gather survey information for: topographical mapping, horizontal and vertical control, location of parcel and right of way boundaries, and utility locations to be used in preparation of design plans and other engineering related documents.
- Field work for construction staking preparation and layout.
- 5 years of experience working on or leading a survey field crew.
- Valid driver's license including a good driving record and ability to meet company insurance requirements
- Experience with Trimble field software and field instrument familiarity is preferred
- Know basic sources of measurement errors
- Must be willing to travel; occasional overnight travel may be required during the work week
- Must be able to work outdoors in a wide range of weather conditions and temperatures
- Capable of hiking/walking short distances in sometimes strenuous and uneven terrain may be required
- Solid written and verbal communication skills
Why work at Otak?
When you work at Otak, you aren’t just joining a firm — you’re joining a community. We believe our best work happens in a culture of collaboration and inclusion, where the expertise of diverse individuals can thrive in a foundation of teamwork. The work environment we create is built on a simple concept: working on interesting projects with interesting people. However, we don’t just believe in cultivating our own community; we’re also committed to enriching the communities around us with smart, creative solutions. We know our employees make an investment in us, so we’re committed to making an investment in them. Seasoned experts and young professionals work together to encourage personal growth and skill development at all experience levels. Plus, we’re expanding — and we’re dedicated to developing an internal infrastructure with the strength and talent to support that growth.
Otak employees have a progressive mindset and sustainable community perspective. We encourage our staff to volunteer in their communities by giving them an option to earn extra vacation time for their volunteer hours. Otak combines the best of a small firm mentality with strong collaboration across disciplines with the plentiful opportunities to work on exciting projects offered by a growing firm. We also encourage life balance and foster a fun work environment. Our Northwest sensibilities are reflected in our commitment to sustainability and diversity. And believing that diversity fosters innovation and strengthens our skills, we embrace a culture of inclusion and equity in our company and in our communities.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability. We will provide reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with a disability where appropriate.
Sound like a place you’d like to spend some time and advance your career? Join us! Please apply online and include a cover letter that sells your skills with your resume.