The Oregon CM/PM Business Unit Leader (BUL) is a Senior Manager in our Owner’s Representative and Project Management division, DayCPM. The BUL is primarily responsible for providing high level operational and strategic direction for the Practice in our Oregon region. The BUL works collaboratively with the Practice Area Leader and other executives to set goals and objectives in the region and ensure the group’s ongoing development and efficient operation. The BUL is a seller-doer who combines excellent project delivery and management with an understanding of the principles of financial management and business development.
What you’ll do:
- In collaboration with the Practice Area Leader and within the framework of Otak’s Strategic Business Plan, develop and implement the overall strategic direction for DayCPM.
- Provide overall operational management for the Practice in the region, inspiring the team to ensure Otak/DayCPM’s vision, mission and values are fulfilled while achieving financial and operational benchmarks.
- Monitor the team’s key performance indicators including revenue, profit, accounts receivable, utilization, backlog, and project variances and write-offs and correct deficiencies as needed.
- Identify target markets, segments, and clients to pursue within the region.
- Partner with Project Managers to monitor and enhance client satisfaction and oversee corrective actions in response to negative client feedback.
- Collaborate with subordinate Project Managers to oversee practice area personnel in the region in accordance with Otak’s policies and procedures. This includes interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning and directing work; rewarding and disciplining employees; and addressing complaints and resolving issues.
What you’ll bring:
- A comprehensive knowledge of the construction industry in the Pacific Northwest in both public and private sectors with significant previous experience in senior leadership roles in large capital projects from design/planning through construction and closeout.
- At least 15 years prior experience working collaboratively with design and construction teams.
- A customer-oriented, entrepenurial mind-set with a deep understanding of what it takes to deliver high-quality work to maintain existing clients as well as to inspire new clients to entrust their project management needs with us.
- Bachelor's Degree in Construction Management, Architecture, Engineering (or equivalency in direct field of experience) or related area is preferred, including Business and Finance.
- Certification as a Construction Manager (CMAA) and/or Project Manager (PMP) is highly preferred but not required.
- Experience in the management of personnel, budgets, and audits.
- This position is based in our Portland office, but as a senior leader of a team with jobsites throughout the region, reliable transportation and/or the ability to travel to/from various jobsites is needed.
Why work at Otak?
When you work at Otak, you aren’t just joining a firm — you’re joining a community. We believe our best work happens in a culture of collaboration and inclusion, where the expertise of diverse individuals can thrive in a foundation of teamwork. The work environment we create is built on a simple concept: working on interesting projects with interesting people. However, we don’t just believe in cultivating our own community; we’re also committed to enriching the communities around us with smart, creative solutions. We know our employees make an investment in us, so we’re committed to making an investment in them. Seasoned experts and young professionals work together to encourage personal growth and skill development at all experience levels. Plus, we’re expanding — and we’re dedicated to developing an internal infrastructure with the strength and talent to support that growth.
Otak employees have a progressive mindset and sustainable community perspective. We encourage our staff to volunteer in their communities by giving them an option to earn extra vacation time for their volunteer hours. Otak combines the best of a small firm mentality with strong collaboration across disciplines with the plentiful opportunities to work on exciting projects offered by a growing firm. We also encourage life balance and foster a fun work environment. Our Northwest sensibilities are reflected in our commitment to sustainability and diversity. And believing that diversity fosters innovation and strengthens our skills, we embrace a culture of inclusion and equity in our company and in our communities.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability. We will provide reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with a disability where appropriate.
Sound like a place you’d like to spend some time and advance your career? Join us! Please apply online and include a cover letter that sells your skills with your resume.