Otak, Inc. is seeking to hire a Water Resources Designer (EI or EIT) to join the Water and Natural Resources team in our Portland office. This role will provide support while working closely with senior staff across our Water and Natural Resources project portfolio, including: stream, wetland and estuary restoration; stormwater planning, analysis, and design; hydrologic and hydraulic analyses; and green infrastructure.
What you'll do:
- Completing analysis and design tasks under the guidance of a PE
- Hydrologic and hydraulic modeling to support planning and design of stormwater and restoration projects
- Assist in writing reports and technical memos; and creating supporting figures/exhibits
- Assist in creating construction plans, specifications, and cost estimates
- Design and drafting using AutoCAD Civil 3D and/or Microstation OpenRoads/InRoads
- GIS mapping, analysis, and/or data management to support design and planning projects
What you have:
- 0-4 years of relevant experience in civil, environmental, ecological, or water resources engineering with an emphasis in hydrology, low-impact development, hydraulic analyses, stormwater treatment, roadway drainage, river engineering, stream and wetland restoration, or similar
- Bachelor’s degree in civil, environmental, ecological, or water resources engineering (master’s degree preferred) or similar engineering or non-engineering degree
- Successful passage of the Fundamentals of Engineering exam, or ability to take the exam and register as an EI or EIT within six (6) months
- Experience and/or coursework in hydrology, hydraulics, and modeling, including use of SWMM, HSPF, HEC-RAS or similar modeling software
- Ability to work in a team environment with outstanding written and verbal communication skills
Why work at Otak
It’s an exciting time to be a part of the Otak team! Join a team of passionate, creative people who want to enrich the communities around them through challenging and highly rewarding projects. By providing the highest level of client service, creativity, and a think-global, act-local mindset, we help our clients and partners take their projects to the next level. Over the last 35 years, Otak has built a highly collaborative team with award-winning multidisciplinary expertise.
When you work at Otak, you aren’t just joining a firm — you’re joining a community. We believe our best work happens in a culture of collaboration and inclusion, where the expertise of diverse individuals can thrive in a foundation of teamwork. We are committed to enriching the communities around us with smart, creative, high-value solutions. We invest in our team members where seasoned experts and young professionals work together to encourage personal and professional growth and skill development at all experience levels. Plus, we’re growing — and we’re dedicated to fostering a culture that provides opportunities for team members to grow and meet their goals. As part of our Water and Natural Resources Team you will have the opportunity to work on a variety of projects wih a varitety of clients, and to collaborate with our other practice areas, including civil and structural engineers, urban designers and planners, and construction inspectors and managers.
Otak employees have a progressive mindset and sustainable community perspective. We encourage our staff to volunteer in their communities by giving them an option to earn extra vacation time for their volunteer hours. Otak combines the best of a small firm mentality by valuing individual strenths and contributions while having strong collaboration across disciplines. Our Northwest sensibilities are reflected in our commitment to sustainability and diversity.
Otak is an equal opportunity employer. Sound like a place you’d like to spend some time and advance your career? Join us! Please apply online and include a cover letter that sells your skills with your resume.