Otak, Inc. is seeking to hire a Water Resources Project Engineer to join the Water and Natural Resources team in our Portland office. The Water Resources Project Engineer supports project initiatives, such as: stream, river and estuary restoration; Hydrologic, Hydraulic, and Geomorphic Analyses; fish passage; bank stabilization and bioengineering, green infrastructure, flood hazard mitigation, and basin planning.
Otak scientists and engineers are highly educated and experienced in the fields of ecology, wetland science, water quality, water resources, fluvial geomorphology, botany, aquatic biology, and fisheries. We prepare technical reports that document environmental baseline conditions and fully satisfy regulatory reporting criteria for permitting and compliance requirements at the local, county, state, and federal levels.
Otak, Inc. is seeking to hire a Water Resources Project Engineer to join the Water and Natural Resources team in our Portland office. The Water Resources Project Engineer supports project initiatives, such as: stream, wetland and estuary restoration; stormwater planning, analysis, and design; hydrologic and hydraulic analyses; fish passage for bridge and culverts; bank stabilization and bioengineering, green infrastructure, and flood mapping and mitigation.
What you'll do:
- Mentorship and review of work performed by others
- Input on budget and schedule estimates
- Data collection and analysis
- Guiding, performing, and reviewing design calculation, including hydrologic and hydraulic modeling
- Preparing construction drawings, specifications, and cost estimates
- Writing design and permitting reports
- Preparing studies and master plans
- Construction engineering and observation
What you have:
- Must have a valid Professional Engineer (PE) license and ability to obtain one in Oregon within one (1) year.
- Experience with preparation of construction documents for project designs supported by hydrologic and hydraulic calculations, such as restoration/protection of natural systems and/or green infrastructure and stormwater management.
- Experience with the application of water resources models such as HSPF, HEC-RAS, SRH2D, or SWMM.
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite, ArcGIS, and AutoCAD or MicroStation.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to prioritize, manage, and deliver multiple projects with simultaneous deadlines.
- Ability to work independently and in a multi-disciplinary, team-oriented environment to meet tight deadlines
Why work at Otak?
It’s an exciting time to be a part of the Otak team! Join a team of passionate, creative people who want to enrich the communities around them through challenging and highly rewarding projects. By providing the highest level of client service, creativity, and a think-global, act-local mindset, we help our clients and partners take their projects to the next level. Over the last 35 years, Otak has built a highly collaborative team with award-winning multidisciplinary expertise.
When you work at Otak, you aren’t just joining a firm — you’re joining a community. We believe our best work happens in a culture of collaboration and inclusion, where the expertise of diverse individuals can thrive in a foundation of teamwork. The work environment we create is built on a simple concept: working on interesting projects with interesting people. However, we don’t just believe in cultivating our own community; we’re also committed to enriching the communities around us with smart, creative solutions. We know our employees make an investment in us, so we’re committed to making an investment in them. Seasoned experts and young professionals work together to encourage personal growth and skill development at all experience levels. Plus, we’re expanding — and we’re dedicated to developing an internal infrastructure with the strength and talent to support that growth.
Otak employees have a progressive mindset and sustainable community perspective. We encourage our staff to volunteer in their communities by giving them an option to earn extra vacation time for their volunteer hours. Otak combines the best of a small firm mentality with strong collaboration across disciplines with the plentiful opportunities to work on exciting projects offered by a growing firm. We also encourage life balance and foster a fun work environment. Our Northwest sensibilities are reflected in our commitment to sustainability and diversity. And believing that diversity fosters innovation and strengthens our skills, we embrace a culture of inclusion and equity in our company and in our communities.
Otak is an equal opportunity employer. Sound like a place you’d like to spend some time and advance your career? Join us! Please apply online and include a cover letter that sells your skills with your resume.