Otak is currently looking to hire a Bridge Engineer P.E. to join our bridge group in the Oregon and SW Washington market. This person should have demonstrated experience in bridge and structural engineering, and an understanding of ODOT, WSDOT requirements and AASHTO standards and specifications. This person will be part of an energetic and creative team that will be working alongside surveyors, scientists, stream specialists, roadway designers, and landscape architects. Project management experience is desirable.
What you’ll do:
- Perform engineering calculations and analysis for structures including roadway and foot bridges, retaining walls, and civil structures as Engineer of Record. Provide complete design including estimates and construction specifications
- Comply with quality assurance plan for project development
- Communicate with other disciplines and with clients through reports, phone calls, memorandum, etc.
- Prepare engineering sketches and drawings by hand and in CAD (AutoCAD and/or MicroStation) for use in construction drawings
- Provide leadership and mentoring of junior staff as needed
What you have:
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil or Structural Engineering is required; Master’s degree is preferred
- PE registration in Oregon or Washington or ability to obtain within 6 months is required; SE registration is desirable
- Knowledge/experience in bridge and structural engineering, as well as experience with ODOT, WSDOT and AASHTO standards is required
- Proficient in structural design software and AutoCAD and or MicroStation is required
- Solid understanding of structural mechanics and construction details
- Strong attention to detail and ability to multi-task
Why work at Otak?
When you work at Otak, you aren’t just joining a firm — you’re joining a community. We believe our best work happens in a culture of collaboration and inclusion, where the expertise of diverse individuals can thrive in a foundation of teamwork. The work environment we create is built on a simple concept: working on interesting projects with interesting people. However, we don’t just believe in cultivating our own community; we’re also committed to enriching the communities around us with smart, creative solutions. We know our employees make an investment in us, so we’re committed to making an investment in them. Seasoned experts and young professionals work together to encourage personal growth and skill development at all experience levels. Plus, we’re expanding — and we’re dedicated to developing an internal infrastructure with the strength and talent to support that growth.
Otak employees have a progressive mindset and sustainable community perspective. We encourage our staff to volunteer in their communities by giving them an option to earn extra vacation time for their volunteer hours. Otak combines the best of a small firm mentality with strong collaboration across disciplines with the plentiful opportunities to work on exciting projects offered by a growing firm. We also encourage life balance and foster a fun work environment. Our Northwest sensibilities are reflected in our commitment to sustainability and diversity. And believing that diversity fosters innovation and strengthens our skills, we embrace a culture of inclusion and equity in our company and in our communities.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability. We will provide reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with a disability where appropriate.
Sound like a place you’d like to spend some time and advance your career? Join us! Please apply online and include a cover letter that sells your skills with your resume.