We are looking to hire a highly motivated, entry-level geomorphologist to join our Water & Natural Resources (WNR) team in our Louisville office. This position will support a wide spectrum of watershed and river science/engineering projects throughout Colorado.
The ideal candidate will have a strong technical background, including fieldwork experience. Typical project responsibilities may include: geomorphic assessments; hydrologic, hydraulic, and sediment transport analyses; watershed studies; flood hazard mapping; and support of stream and river restoration designs.
What you’ll do:
- Collect and analyze data, perform hydraulic and geomorphic design calculations, write reports, and support design drawings and specifications.
- Compile, synthesize, and interpret scientific research/data and communicate findings, including at layman’s level.
- Perform hydrologic, hydraulic, and geomorphic modelling, utilizing water resources models such as HEC-RAS (1D and 2D), SRH-2D, etc.
- Conduct design calculations.
- Prepare design and permitting documents, floodplain and watershed study reports, and technical memoranda.
- Collaborate with management or designated team leader to keep parties informed of progress; identify problem issues and communicate impact to the team; seek clarity when necessary
What you have:
- Must have approximately two (2) or more years of previous experience geology, geomorphology, watershed science, civil engineering, water resources, environmental engineering or other related field.
- Must have strong scientific background with experience applying analytical and quantitative skills for fluvial process understanding.
- Bachelor’s degree in geology, geomorphology, watershed science, civil engineering, water resources, environmental engineering, or similar is required.
- Graduate degree(s) favorable, not required.
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite and ArcGIS.
Why work at Otak?
When you work at Otak, you aren’t just joining a firm — you’re joining a community. We believe our best work happens in a culture of collaboration and inclusion, where the expertise of diverse individuals can thrive in a foundation of teamwork. The work environment we create is built on a simple concept: working on interesting projects with interesting people. However, we don’t just believe in cultivating our own community; we’re also committed to enriching the communities around us with smart, creative solutions. We know our employees make an investment in us, so we’re committed to making an investment in them. Seasoned experts and young professionals work together to encourage personal growth and skill development at all experience levels. Plus, we’re expanding — and we’re dedicated to developing an internal infrastructure with the strength and talent to support that growth.
Otak employees have a progressive mindset and sustainable community perspective. We encourage our staff to volunteer in their communities by giving them an option to earn extra vacation time for their volunteer hours. Otak combines the best of a small firm mentality with strong collaboration across disciplines with the plentiful opportunities to work on exciting projects offered by a growing firm. We also encourage life balance and foster a fun work environment. Our Northwest sensibilities are reflected in our commitment to sustainability and diversity. And believing that diversity fosters innovation and strengthens our skills, we embrace a culture of inclusion and equity in our company and in our communities.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability. We will provide reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with a disability where appropriate.
Sound like a place you’d like to spend some time and advance your career? Join us! Please apply online and include a cover letter that sells your skills with your resume.