Otak, Inc. is seeking to hire an Engineering Designer/EIT to join our Water and Natural Resources Team in our Vancouver, WA office. Our team works in Washington and Oregon on a broad range of municipal and private projects. Areas of focus for this position will be the following:
- Stream/wetland habitat improvement and bioengineered streambank stabilization design
- Bridge and culvert hydraulic analysis (flood risk and scour) and fish passage design
- Stormwater management system planning and design related to: green retrofit of existing systems, roadway and private site projects, master planning, and NPDES permit compliance
Otak is the premier water resources firm in the Pacific Northwest. Our team of engineers and scientists are recognized experts in the fields of hydraulics, fluvial geomorphology, water quality, riparian ecology, aquatic biology, and wetland science. Our diverse team of experts allows us to take on a wide range of exciting water resources projects and improve the communities we live in.
The ideal candidate will be self-motivated with an enthusiastic, team-oriented attitude.
What you’ll do:
- Field reconnaissance and geomorphic assessments
- Perform hydrologic and hydraulic modeling (pipe and open channel)
- Perform engineering design calculations
- Prepare and analyze pipe networks and terrain surfaces using AutoCAD/Civil 3D
- Develop GIS mapping and perform watershed scale analysis
- Develop technical reports including hydraulic and stormwater design reports
- Prepare design drawings, specifications, and cost estimates
- Provide construction observation
What you Bring:
- Must have 2-4 years of relevant professional experience in Water Resources Engineering with an emphasis in riverine and/or stormwater management projects.
- Must have a bachelor’s degree in Civil or Environmental Engineering with an emphasis on Water Resources.
- Must have successfully passed the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) or Engineer-in-Training (EIT) exam
- Demonstrated experience with AutoCAD/Civil 3D
- Knowledge of hydrologic and hydraulic analysis and modeling tools
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to multi-task daily, and work with a fast-paced team of interdisciplinary staff working on several concurrent projects
- Ability to work collaboratively within a creative, professional, team environment
- Valid driver’s license
Additional Qualifications Sought:
- Proficiency in the use of HEC-RAS
- Experience with geomorphic field data collection and the associated equipment
- Proficiency in the use of the Western Washington Hydrology Model (WWHM)
- Proficiency in the use of Storm Water Management Model (SWMM)
- Proficiency in the use of HydroCAD
- Proficiency in the use of ArcGIS
Why work at Otak?
When you work at Otak, you aren’t just joining a firm — you’re joining a community. We believe our best work happens in a culture of collaboration and inclusion, where the expertise of diverse individuals can thrive in a foundation of teamwork. The work environment we create is built on a simple concept: working on interesting projects with interesting people. However, we don’t just believe in cultivating our own community; we’re also committed to enriching the communities around us with smart, creative solutions. We know our employees make an investment in us, so we’re committed to making an investment in them. Seasoned experts and young professionals work together to encourage personal growth and skill development at all experience levels. Plus, we’re expanding — and we’re dedicated to developing an internal infrastructure with the strength and talent to support that growth.
Otak employees have a progressive mindset and sustainable community perspective. We encourage our staff to volunteer in their communities by giving them an option to earn extra vacation time for their volunteer hours. Otak combines the best of a small firm mentality with strong collaboration across disciplines with the plentiful opportunities to work on exciting projects offered by a growing firm. We also encourage life balance and foster a fun work environment. Our Northwest sensibilities are reflected in our commitment to sustainability and diversity. And believing that diversity fosters innovation and strengthens our skills, we embrace a culture of inclusion and equity in our company and in our communities.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability. We will provide reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with a disability where appropriate.
Sound like a place you’d like to spend some time and advance your career? Join us! Please apply online and include a cover letter that sells your skills with your resume.