Otak is seeking to hire an CAD Designer for our Vancouver office. This position will be focused on a wide variety of projects throughout the SW Washington and Portland-Metro area that include grading, drainage, site development, municipal roadway, utility, and civic projects for various clients. The ideal candidate will be self-motivated with an enthusiastic, team-oriented attitude and advanced level design and drafting proficiency
What you’ll do:
- Assist with the drafting of standard engineering documents and calculations, using AutoCAD, Civil 3D, and MicroStation for plans preparation purposes with minimum supervision
- Perform design services related to site layout, grading, stormwater management and erosion control in conformance with local, state and federal regulations
- Analyze reports, maps, drawings, tests, aerial photographs of terrain, existing and proposed characteristics, and other topographical and geologic data to plan and design projects
- Assist project managers in preparation of drawing packages, project construction estimates, and bid item review
- Consistently demonstrate high level of efficiency and accuracy when completing all types of design and drafting tasks
- Learn and apply alternative design and drafting standards as required by Otak clients
- Create sheets, base files, and setup projects, according to standards, from scratch
What you bring:
- Applicants should have a minimum of an Associate’s degree in Computer Aided Drafting (CAD), Civil Engineering, or related fields.
- Must have six (6) years of experience in a Civil or Civil-related engineering field, that includes experience in design of transportation and/or utility infrastructure, plan preparation, specifications, contract documents and/or other Civil Engineering processes
- Experience with AutoCAD, Civil 3D, and MicroStation
- Ability to work collaboratively within a creative, professional, team environment
- Construction and DOT experience is a plus
Why work at Otak?
When you work at Otak, you aren’t just joining a firm — you’re joining a community. We believe our best work happens in a culture of collaboration and inclusion, where the expertise of diverse individuals can thrive in a foundation of teamwork. The work environment we create is built on a simple concept: working on interesting projects with interesting people. However, we don’t just believe in cultivating our own community; we’re also committed to enriching the communities around us with smart, creative solutions. We know our employees make an investment in us, so we’re committed to making an investment in them. Seasoned experts and young professionals work together to encourage personal growth and skill development at all experience levels. Plus, we’re expanding — and we’re dedicated to developing an internal infrastructure with the strength and talent to support that growth.
Otak employees have a progressive mindset and sustainable community perspective. We encourage our staff to volunteer in their communities by giving them an option to earn extra vacation time for their volunteer hours. Otak combines the best of a small firm mentality with strong collaboration across disciplines with the plentiful opportunities to work on exciting projects offered by a growing firm. We also encourage life balance and foster a fun work environment. Our Northwest sensibilities are reflected in our commitment to sustainability and diversity. And believing that diversity fosters innovation and strengthens our skills, we embrace a culture of inclusion and equity in our company and in our communities.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability. We will provide reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with a disability where appropriate.
Sound like a place you’d like to spend some time and advance your career? Join us! Please apply online and include a cover letter that sells your skills with your resume.