Otak, Inc. is seeking to hire a Water Resources Project Engineer to join our Water and Natural Resources Team in our Vancouver, WA office. Our team works with many communities around the area on a broad range of municipal and private projects. Primary areas of focus for this position will be the following:
- Stormwater management system design related to retrofit of existing systems, support of public roadway and private site projects
- Stormwater master planning
- NPDES MS4 and industrial permit compliance support
Additional technical areas depending on experience:
- Bridge and culvert hydraulic analysis (flood risk and scour) and fish passage design
- Streambank stabilization and stream habitat improvement design
This person will be working on multi-disciplinary projects and using engineering judgment to transform design concepts into construction drawings and technical specifications. The ideal candidate will be self-motivated with an enthusiastic, team-oriented attitude.
What you'll do:
- Perform design services related to stormwater and riverine design in conformance with local, state and federal regulations
- Analyze pipe networks, completes earthwork calculations, and prepare construction plans using AutoCAD/Civil 3D
- Prepare technical reports including Drainage and Hydraulic Reports
- Prepare permit documents, construction plans, technical specifications, and cost estimates
- Plan and coordinate projects with limited supervision
- Assist in assigning duties and schedules to team members
- Coordinate directly with clients and public agencies as-needed to successfully complete project
- Participate in preparing proposals and project scopes, schedules, and budgets
- Provide construction support services
What you have:
- 6+ years of experience with water resources engineering design in urban stormwater and/or riverine projects
- A bachelor’s degree in civil/environmental engineering, or a master’s degree in civil/ environmental engineering if undergraduate degree was in field other than engineering
- Professional Engineering (PE) license, in good standing, is required, including a license in Washington State or the ability to obtain via reciprocity/comity
- Demonstrated experience with task and project management on multidisciplinary design teams
- Demonstrated experience with AutoCAD/Civil 3D
- Knowledge of hydrologic and hydraulic analysis and modeling tools
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to multi-task daily, and work with a fast-paced team of interdisciplinary staff working on several concurrent projects
- Ability to work collaboratively within a creative, professional, team environment
What you might have:
- Experience completing stormwater designs in Southwest Washington
- Proficiency in the use of the Western Washington Hydrology Model (WWHM)
- Proficiency in the use of Storm Water Management Model (SWMM)
- Proficiency in the use of HydroCAD
- Proficiency in the use of HEC-RAS
- Proficiency in the use of ArcGIS
- Experience with geomorphic field data collection and the associated equipment
- Business development experience for a consulting firm
Why work at Otak?
When you work at Otak, you aren’t just joining a firm — you’re joining a community. We believe our best work happens in a culture of collaboration and inclusion, where the expertise of diverse individuals can thrive in a foundation of teamwork. The work environment we create is built on a simple concept: working on interesting projects with interesting people. However, we don’t just believe in cultivating our own community; we’re also committed to enriching the communities around us with smart, creative solutions. We know our employees make an investment in us, so we’re committed to making an investment in them. Seasoned experts and young professionals work together to encourage personal growth and skill development at all experience levels. Plus, we’re expanding — and we’re dedicated to developing an internal infrastructure with the strength and talent to support that growth.
Otak employees have a progressive mindset and sustainable community perspective. We encourage our staff to volunteer in their communities by giving them an option to earn extra vacation time for their volunteer hours. Otak combines the best of a small firm mentality with strong collaboration across disciplines with the plentiful opportunities to work on exciting projects offered by a growing firm. We also encourage life balance and foster a fun work environment. Our Northwest sensibilities are reflected in our commitment to sustainability and diversity. And believing that diversity fosters innovation and strengthens our skills, we embrace a culture of inclusion and equity in our company and in our communities.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability. We will provide reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with a disability where appropriate.
Sound like a place you’d like to spend some time and advance your career? Join us! Please apply online and include a cover letter that sells your skills with your resume.