Osso VR is the leading virtual reality surgical training and assessment platform. Our technology is being used by the top medical device companies to train thousands of surgeons, on dozens of the latest surgical techniques, in over twenty countries around the world. Our mission is to improve patient outcomes through better training and assessment, increase the adoption of higher value medical technology, and democratize access to the latest surgical techniques globally.
Our MedTech department is home to the world’s largest team of professional medical illustrators. Their goal is to deliver valuable surgical training to healthcare professionals and ultimately, patients. MedTech works closely with Engineering, Art, Tech Art, and Customer Experience teams to help us deliver flawless, first-in-class interactive experiences.
We are looking for candidates that above all fit our unique caring company culture. We care more about your passion and perseverance to succeed than anything on your resume specifically. The ideal candidate will have a masters degree in Medical Illustration, with a basic foundation in 3D modeling and an interest to learn more about Unity development and Virtual Reality.
Medical illustrators work as project leads in developing our surgical techniques in Unity. They must be comfortable researching surgical procedures, understanding key learning moments, and working closely with clients to create high-fidelity training modules.
Your day-to-day responsibilities include:
- Breaking down complex surgical techniques into well-defined sections, steps, and interactions
- Identifying key learning outcomes utilizing technique guides, videos, hands-on labs and subject matter experts
- Occasional modelling and texture creation
- Collaborating with and guiding hard surface and organic artists
- Creating animations, within both Maya and Unity
- Generating surgical training content utilizing our custom scripting toolset
- Working with the Customer Experience team to fix bugs and streamline procedures
- Working closely with other team members and leadership to help uphold procedure standards for procedure flow, VR performance, and education
- Closely collaborating and communicating with the team, and participating in stand-ups, meetings, critiques and reviews etc.
- Working collaboratively with all other disciplines including Art and Engineers to ensure procedure meets all requirements and tasks are estimated correctly
This is the right opportunity for you if you:
- Have a degree from an accredited medical illustration graduate program
- Have a deep understanding of human, and potentially animal, anatomy paired with a desire to discover and learn more
- Have 3D modelling experience in Maya or other comparable programs
- Are able to self-manage and multi-task
- Are comfortable/respectful of viewing surgical procedures and cadavers as reference material
- Have excellent organizational, communication and interpersonal skills
- Have a desire to solve unknown problems with creative solutions
- Understand healthy critiquing and how to motivate and elevate others
- Are interested and passionate for the medical space and Virtual Reality
- Are willing to learn new skills and have a strong interest in expressing empathy, compassion and motivated by mission-based work
- Have a strong attention to detail to achieve accurate and realistic surgical training simulations
- Knowledge of Unity Engine
- Knowledge of animation and rigging
Our commitment to diversity
The diverse experiences, ideas, and identities of our team members help us make better decisions and drive great results for our users. We foster an inclusive work environment that welcomes team members of all backgrounds and perspectives.