Who we are at Osmo:
Osmo is a digital olfaction company, on a mission to give computers a sense of smell to improve the health and wellbeing of human life. Why? Our sense of smell both enriches and saves lives, and has a deep and direct connection to our emotions and memory. Vision and hearing have been digitized, but not scent. It’s time we solve this. We’re bringing an unprecedented combination of software, data, hardware and capital to the historic challenge of giving computers a sense of smell.
We believe in the power of automation and carefully applied AI/ML to solve problems that are beyond what the unaided human mind can tackle on its own. In the first phase of our development, we are using our map of odor along with cutting-edge generative AI to create the next generation of aroma molecules (e.g., the ingredients in the fragrances we wear and the products we use). We're a hybrid company with a laboratory and center-of-mass in Somerville, MA and New York, NY.
Osmo is hiring a senior sensory scientist to drive olfactory data collection, experimental design, and human subjects research. You’ll work closely with Software, Data Operations, and Chemistry to help solve the challenge of giving computers a sense of smell. We are looking for a self-motivated individual with a passion for smell, for careful data collection and well-run experiments, for classic and new methods in psychophysics, and the ability to translate complex information into actionable recommendations.
- Collaborate with neuroscientists, software engineers, and program managers to ensure that data collection meets scientific, engineering, and product requirements.
- Design, prepare, and conduct innovative experiments to answer basic research questions about human psychophysics.
- Innovate on data collection techniques, instrumentation, and experimental designs in service of research questions.
- Recruit and supervise human subjects to help answer research questions about the characterization of smells.
- Utilize data science skills to analyze datasets and draw conclusions about experimental design choices.
- Collaborate with stakeholders to understand whether experimental designs and collected data are aligned with company needs.
- Advanced degree (e.g. PhD) in a science or equivalent experience.
- Experience working in a laboratory environment.
- Experience with human research subjects and strong familiarity with research ethics.
- Experience in sensory science (not necessarily smell and taste).
- Experience in Python and Jupyter notebooks.
- Strong understanding of the principles of statistics and experimental design.
- Experience driving projects and working across teams to achieve organizational goals.
- Ability to work independently, prioritize tasks, and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to present findings to stakeholders in a clear and concise manner.
- The ability to work in person, 5 days a week, in our lab in New York City.
- Curiosity to work across disciplines with research scientists on new and exciting areas, and to smell new things!
How to stand out:
- Have a willingness and ability to fail quickly on the way to success; a bias towards action.
- Have a passion for quantitative research and a desire to develop and to falsify mathematical frameworks for olfaction.
- Have the flexibility to integrate multiple data streams that provide distinct perspectives about smell into a coherent vision for Osmo R&D.
Expected Salary: $130,000-$170,000