Who we are at Osmo:
Osmo is a digital olfaction company, on a mission to give computers a sense of smell to improve the health and wellbeing of human life. Why? Our sense of smell both enriches and saves lives, and has a deep and direct connection to our emotions and memory. Vision and hearing have been digitized, but not scent. It’s time we solve this. We’re bringing an unprecedented combination of software, data, hardware and capital to the historic challenge of giving computers a sense of smell.
We believe in the power of automation and carefully applied AI/ML to solve problems that are beyond what the unaided human mind can tackle on its own. In the first phase of our development, we are using our map of odor along with cutting-edge generative AI to create the next generation of aroma molecules (e.g., the ingredients in the fragrances we wear and the products we use). We're a hybrid company with a laboratory and center-of-mass in Cambridge, MA and New York, NY.
Osmo is hiring a Scientist in Synthetic Chemistry, to help discover novel new aroma ingredients for the fragrance industry. The ideal candidate has some chemistry experience with fragrance compounds and new fragrance discovery
- Design and synthesize small molecules for new ingredient discovery and optimization
- Have a working understanding of relevant analytical techniques and in silico modeling
- Work closely with our software engineers, data scientists and AI researchers in support of internal models and new model development
- Must be able to work on multiple projects, thrive in a fast paced, data driven, environment and deliver on aggressive timelines
- Actively follow the literature within the areas of research interest
- Communicate well with others
You have a:
- PhD in organic chemistry or related field with 0-3 years of relevant industry experience
- Experience with volatile compound synthesis and purification is preferred
- Parallel library design and synthesis, and an understanding of in-silico approaches are a plus
- Strong organizational, problem solving, and communication skills
- Must be a team player with the ability to work well in a highly cross functional team environment.
- A track record of success in the fragrance industry and new ingredient discovery including: hit identification, hit to lead and lead optimization preferred.
You're Curious, Kind, Communicate Clearly, and Get Stuff Done. You have a first-class mind, and you want to stretch it. You want to work on a nearly impossible goal that serves a deep human need, drawing on a wide diversity of knowledge and skill to achieve it. Where there's a gap, we explore it from first-principles and invent pragmatic solutions. You want to work with world-class, passionate teammates on this adventure into the unknown.
If this role inspires you we’d encourage you to apply. We are committed to recruiting, developing, and retaining an incredible team optimized for a diversity of thought, background, and approaches. All employment decisions and responsibilities are determined based on current ability and your ability to grow, without regard to race, color, gender identity, sex, sexual orientation, religion, age, marital status, physical, mental, or sensory disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.