Originate was founded in 2007. Headquartered in San Francisco, we have over 150 employees across our offices in New York, Los Angeles, Berlin, Las Vegas, and Newport Beach. We are the on-demand accelerator for companies across the world. Regardless of industry or location, companies looking to explore new ideas and new opportunities turn to Originate as their trusted and capable innovation partner.
Who Are We?
Originate is a concept-to-launch software company. We partner with enterprises and mature startups to accelerate their time from ideation to market. Our goal is to help our people and our partners to realize their potential faster in an evolving, uncertain world. Whether it's enabling a business to lead in an existing market or to enter into a brand new one, we have the experience and we want to help.
At the heart of Originate is a deep appreciation for ideation and innovation. We are continuously curious and thrive on making impossibilities possible. Our practice consists of technology-agnostic experts specializing in rapid prototyping and agile methodology. We love bringing prototypes to the end user and using their feedback to iterate on the product.
Who Works at Originate?
Originators are talented, creative, and motivated self-learners. New and emerging technologies inspire us to create not only new products but new kinds of products. We thrive on collaboration and have teamed up with countless partners to resolve complex technology and business challenges across a diverse set of fields. Individually we are unique, collectively we are inventive, and in partnership we are unmatched.
Our Tech Environment
New products are built primarily using Go, Node.js, Scala and Java and any number of front-end technologies (React, GraphQL, Webpack, Redux, etc.). Mobile development is both iOS and Android.
Software is packaged with Docker and deployed with CircleCI on top of various cloud platforms including AWS and Google Cloud. We leverage open source components such as Cassandra, Spark, Kafka and PostgresSQL for our data plane. Infrastructure is managed using Ansible and Terraform and monitored using a variety of DevOps tools like Datadog.
You’ll find individuals hacking with everything else (Haskell, Clojure, Elixir, Elm, Rust, etc.) and we’re always open to trying out new technologies when it makes our lives easier. We work in small, fast-paced, cross-functional agile teams.
- Build new Kotlin applications and work with existing native Android codebases written in Kotlin, Java or a mix of both
- Work on all aspects of Android development from the network layer, all the way up to the UI
- Help make major architecture decisions and enforce Android best practices
- Follow Git best practices and participate with other team members in thorough code reviews
- Mentor and work closely with the entire Android team throughout the development process
- Collaborate with both internal & external product, design and engineering teams
- Work with product managers to define technical requirements, scope tickets and help plan agile sprints
- Work with designers to make sure that designs are being made with Android's unique challenges (screen sizes, aspect ratios, etc.) in mind
- Collaborate with iOS and backend engineers on a regular basis
- At least 3 years of experience leading Android projects.
- Strong understanding of the Gradle build system
- Strong understanding of Android Material Design
- Experience with Android testing frameworks (JUnit, Mockito, etc.)
- Experience with common Android network libraries (OkHttp, Retrofit, Picasso, etc.)
- Experience with setting up Android continuous integration and delivery pipelines is a strong plus
- Consulting or client-facing software development experience preferred.
- Ability to collaborate with other cross-functional teams and non-technical users to develop an awesome Product
- BS in Computer Science, Math, EE, or other applicable degrees.