Orchard is radically simplifying the way people buy and sell their homes. For the average American, the home purchase and sale process takes months, creates anxiety, and is filled with uncertainty and hassle. Orchard has reimagined the end-to-end experience of buying and selling, from innovative home search tools to find the perfect home to the ability to buy a new home before selling your current one. Orchard customers manage the entire experience through a personalized online dashboard, while also getting the support of best-in-class Orchard real estate agents.
Headquartered in New York City and with offices throughout Texas, Colorado, Georgia, North Carolina, and Virginia, Orchard has over 500 employees and growing. We've recently raised $100 million in Series D funding at a valuation over $1 billion and have financing from top-tier investors including Revolution, Firstmark, Accomplice, Navitas and Juxtapose. Our investors have also backed the likes of Pinterest, AirBnb, Shopify and Sweetgreen. Orchard is proud to be recognized as part of Glassdoor’s Best Places to Work.
Role and Responsibilities
Orchard is looking for a Senior Security Engineer to become a founding member of the security team. As a member of the Security team you will work with engineering leaders and key stakeholders across the organization to ensure we are operating in a security-first mindset.
Orchard delivers to customers an end to end home transaction experience: from finding their home online, enabling them to put forward their best offer, to financing and closing. Our customers trust us with sensitive information, including financial data and funds transfer.
This role will own our threat detection & remediation capabilities: starting with SIEM build and automation, operations as well as implementing security best practices, compliance, policies and procedures. The key focus of this role will start with Incident Detection & Incident Response capabilities with the opportunity to work on broader infrastructure security.
In this role you will:
- Build out Orchard’s SIEM capabilities
- Define and operationalize Orchard's Security Incident Management Program
- Partner with Engineering & Infrastructure teams to review system designs for both existing and newly developed systems to ensure appropriate log and event data is ingested by SIEM
- Oversee deployments, build outs and routine maintenance for design changes to the environment
- Automate repeatable tasks through use of scripting (SIEM rules, SOAR, BASH, Python, Terraform, Ansible)
- Continuously document changes to application, domain and processes to ensure best practices are being followed
- Defining, documenting & promoting the Incident Response Process, standards & security best practices within the team
- Create, monitor, respond to, and tune rules, triggers, and alerts within the SOAR / SIEM tooling
- Act as first responder by conducting analysis of potential security incidents and report to the Incident Response Team
- Facilitate post-mortem incident reviews; incorporate “lessons learned’ into continuous improvement of the Incident Management Program by updating documentation and disseminating information to relevant internal teams
- 4+ years of hands-on experience building and auditing security infrastructure
- Hand-on experience building out and maintaining a SIEM (for example: DataDog, ELK, Splunk, SumoLogic, etc...)
- Experience proactively identifying visibility gaps & expanding coverage with event and log data sources
- Experience with SOAR: security orchestration, automation, remediation workflows
- Experience with Incident Management programs & security operations
- Ability to drive change management for business processes and engineering practices
- Ability to build relationships and partner with business & customer stakeholders to improve Orchard’s security posture
- Working knowledge of security and compliance frameworks such as ISO 27001, NIST CSF, CIS Controls
- Familiarity with industry certifications (e.g. SOC, ISO) and privacy regulations such as CCPA
- Experience with AWS infrastructure: guard duty, IAM, WAF, and securing cloud environments
- AWS Certifications such as AWS SysOps Admin, DevOps Engineer, or Security Specialty
We're proud to be recognized by Glassdoor, Inc. Magazine, Fast Company and Forbes on their lists of best places to work. We also have a 4.8 Glassdoor rating! Orchard is building the first one-stop-shop in real estate and we’re bringing together the most innovative professionals across real estate, business, marketing, technology and design. We also have some pretty great perks:
- Equity participation
- Flexible PTO
- Up to 18 weeks of paid family leave
- Employee discount on Orchard’s services
We're continuing to work from home until it's safe for all employees to return to the office. Our offices are open for our team members who would like to come in on a voluntary basis and for team members who work in essential in-office roles. As part of our commitment to health and safety, all employees currently working in our office spaces are required to show proof of vaccination. We anticipate making an official return to the office on a hybrid basis in January of 2022 and are excited to see one another in person. Until then, your interviews will all happen virtually. If there is anything we can do to make your process easier, don't hesitate to let us know!
Orchard is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We provide employment opportunities without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law.