Orchard is radically simplifying the way people buy and sell their homes. For the average American, the home purchase and sale process takes months, creates anxiety, and is filled with uncertainty and hassle. Orchard has reimagined the end-to-end experience of buying and selling, from innovative home search tools to find the perfect home to the ability to buy a new home before selling your current one. Orchard customers manage the entire experience through a personalized online dashboard, while also getting the support of best-in-class Orchard real estate agents.
Headquartered in New York City and with offices throughout Texas, Colorado, Georgia, North Carolina, and Virginia, Orchard has over 400 employees and growing. We have raised over $130 million in equity financing from top-tier investors including Revolution, Firstmark, Accomplice, Navitas and Juxtapose. Our investors have also backed the likes of Pinterest, AirBnb, Shopify and Sweetgreen. Orchard is proud to be recognized as part of Glassdoor’s Best Places to Work.
About the Role
Orchard is looking for a Title Examiner to review and determine solutions for curative title issues prior to closing in order to deliver an exceptional experience for our customers. As a foundational member of our in-house Title competency, you will define and refine best practices, provide ongoing education and act as a resource for the Escrow team. The ideal candidate is an experienced Title Officer with experience in Texas and Nationally and is used to working with high-stakes and time-sensitive deals where every process is critical to the successful, timely completion of the transaction.
This is a full time role that will report into the Manager of Title Compliance.
What You’ll Do Here
- Review title report for accuracy, completeness, and insurability on Residential transactions.
- Apply state and underwriter guidelines in the examination process, including the ability to interpret state law and court opinions as relating to land title conveyance
- Provide underwriting interpretation within established guidelines
- Identify title defects, collaborate with underwriters and other members of the Escrow Team, as applicable.
- Review property surveys to identify issues that may affect the subject property and transaction and revise the title commitment accordingly.
- Clearly communicate and collaborate with cross-department contacts to promptly troubleshoot and resolve any issues in the Title process to avoid delays
- Partner with your colleagues in Title & Escrow collaboratively on process improvements, ongoing education and efficiency projects
- Maintain compliance with Orchard National Title policies and procedures in accordance with governing laws, regulations, regulatory agencies and company standards
We’d Love to Hear From You if You Have:
- 2+ years of real estate experience in title and/or escrow, or experience as a Title Examiner of real property for an underwriter, title agency, or law firm, national experience strongly preferred
- Strong problem-solving skills, particularly in a legal and/or curative environment
- Working knowledge of legal documents affecting title to real property
- Analytical review, investigative, and research skills
- Detail and quality oriented
- Microsoft Suite and Google Doc proficient
- Confident working with new technologies and specialty software (e.g. Qualia)
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- High School diploma or equivalent is required; Bachelor’s degree is preferred
- Adaptability to technology and new concepts and processes
We're proud to be recognized by Glassdoor, Inc. Magazine, Fast Company and Forbes on their lists of best places to work. We also have a 4.9 Glassdoor rating! Orchard is building the first one-stop-shop in real estate and we’re bringing together the most innovative professionals across real estate, business, marketing, technology and design. We also have some pretty great perks:
- Equity participation
- Flexible PTO
- Up to 18 weeks of paid family leave
- Employee discount on Orchard’s services
We're currently working from home until it's safe for employees to return to the office. We anticipate returning later this year and are excited to welcome people back to our offices and see one another in person. Until then, your interviews will all happen virtually. If there is anything we can do to make your process easier, don't hesitate to let us know!
Orchard is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We provide employment opportunities without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law.