Orchard is radically simplifying the way people buy and sell their homes. For the average American, the home purchase and sale process takes months, creates anxiety, and is filled with uncertainty and hassle. Orchard has reimagined the end-to-end experience of buying and selling, from innovative home search tools to find the perfect home to the ability to buy a new home before selling your current one. Orchard customers manage the entire experience through a personalized online dashboard, while also getting the support of best-in-class Orchard real estate agents.
Headquartered in New York City and with offices throughout Texas, Colorado, Georgia, North Carolina, and Virginia, Orchard has over 300 employees and growing. We have raised over $130 million in equity financing from top-tier investors including Revolution, Firstmark, Accomplice, Navitas and Juxtapose. Our investors have also backed the likes of Pinterest, AirBnb, Shopify and Sweetgreen. Orchard is proud to be recognized as part of Glassdoor’s Best Places to Work.
About the Role
This is an exciting opportunity to join a high-growth team at the ground floor, and play an instrumental role in making the home buying and selling experience frictionless for our customers.
Orchard’s engineering culture is centered around product empathy and autonomous teams with high feature ownership. Engineers take ownership of feature development end to end. This means we partner with Product Managers and Designers to solve ambiguous business problems and have a high degree of collaborative input before writing code. We strive to keep common infrastructure and dependencies simple (or only as complex as necessary), to keep the coordination costs of infrastructure deployments low, and support lean & nimble product engineering teams.
As part of the larger engineering organization, Orchard’s Data Team performs a function that is at the core of our business: we are responsible for building and maintaining the technical infrastructure to ingest the data sources, and deploy the models that drive our decision-making and software. Part of this role will be working directly with the Data Science team in order to make their models production-ready.
The team values engineers who prioritize results and testing, and we’re looking for engineers who are excited to explore our data and come up with novel ways to use it.
We are interested in all qualified candidates who are eligible to work in the United States. However, we are not able to sponsor visas at this time.
This is a full-time role based out of our New York City office.
What You’ll Do Here
- Integrating with third-party data sources (MLS and county tax data are primary sources, among others) to support our home transaction platform and Data Science initiatives
- Building and maintaining ETL pipelines to support business intelligence
- Building and maintaining model training and validation pipelines for our automated valuation model (AVM)
- Deploying machine learning models (our AVM) to production so that analysts can use them to value the homes we make offers on
- Work with the following technologies: Python3, PostgreSQL, Docker, AWS, Airflow
We’d Love to Hear From You if You Have
- Proficiency in SQL and Python. Familiarity with Postgres or Airflow is a plus.
- Prior internship experience working with a team to plan, prioritize, build, and deploy code
- Currently have, or are in the process of attaining, BS or MS in Computer Science or related field
- A results-oriented attitude with attention to detail: we expect engineers to own projects from planning to production deployment (and production operations!)
- Low ego with appetite for feedback: we value humility and sharing + receiving feedback for growth and continuous improvement
- Business empathy & clear communication: we work with product, design & business stakeholders collaboratively from early in the design process. We look for engineers to frame technical problems in the context of business value and be able to communicate with cross-functional teams
- Prioritization & value orientation: we operate with agile principles and balance long-term planning with re-evaluating priorities based on new data and assumptions
- Problem solving & ownership: we look for a willingness to take on problems in a growing organization where there's not yet a defined solution
We're proud to be recognized by Glassdoor, Inc. Magazine, Fast Company and Forbes on their lists of best places to work. We also have a 4.9 Glassdoor rating! Orchard is building the first one-stop-shop in real estate and we’re bringing together the most innovative professionals across real estate, business, marketing, technology and design. We also have some pretty great perks:
- Equity participation
- Flexible PTO
- Up to 18 weeks of paid family leave
- Employee discount on Orchard’s services
We're currently working from home until it's safe for employees to return to the office. We anticipate returning later this year and are excited to welcome people back to our offices and see one another in person. Until then, your interviews will all happen virtually. If there is anything we can do to make your process easier, don't hesitate to let us know!
Orchard is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We provide employment opportunities without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law.