The successful candidate would assume the role of Development Director with both Orange Barrel Media and IKE Smart City, two sister companies. The candidate would work out of OBM’s Columbus office, located in Franklinton.
Orange Barrel Media creates and operates iconic urban media displays that advertisers ask for by name in 20 of the top markets in the U.S. Since our founding in 2004, OBM has pioneered a community-oriented model of outdoor media development and is now nationally recognized by cities and real estate owners alike seeking to implement best-in-class programs that add to the character of urban places. To this end, OBM has pioneered zoning changes allowing spectacular signage in several markets, including Los Angeles, Boston, Washington, DC, Atlanta, Denver and other high barrier-to-entry markets. In the advertising community, OBM is widely recognized as the owner of the highest impact and most memorable advertising locations in the cities where it operates, and OBM displays are consistently selected as the centerpiece of clients’ outdoor advertising campaigns.
The OBM team is also a leader in smart city infrastructure, launching the interactive kiosk experience (“IKE”) platform in concert with cities across the United States through the company IKE Smart City. IKE is a breakthrough citizen engagement platform that helps cities communicate with the public, improve the pedestrian experience, and tell the story of their city. Our commitment to innovation and ongoing investment in software development has created the true smart city hub: a multi-lingual and flexible platform with features that provide cities and the public with everything they need to navigate their city. The core tenants of the IKE platform are discovery, mobility, and social equity; values that we seek to maximize in every IKE market through the formation of public-private partnerships.
The Development Director’s primary objective is to increase the number of large format signs and IKE kiosks throughout the country. To achieve this objective, Directors will need to develop relationships with key stakeholders in the markets they oversee in order to build a coalition of public and private supporters for OBM and IKE initiatives. Development Directors are responsible for securing deals with real estate developers and cities, negotiating all related contracts, and securing the permits necessary to allow advertising. While business or legal experience would be beneficial in the role, neither is a requirement for a successful candidate.
The successful candidate will be organized, deadline driven, imaginative, and passionate about building relationships. He or she will also be interested in urban design, politics, marketing, advertising, technology, and travel. The candidate must be willing to travel on an ad hoc basis as needed to his or her markets across the country. Travel may be unpredictable. The Company presents an opportunity to thrive in an extraordinarily fast-paced and entrepreneurial culture.
- The Development Department has primary responsibility for growing OBM’s portfolio of assets by identifying new opportunities for spectacular signage and IKE kiosks, securing leases for operation, and working with municipal officials to obtain permits. Each Development Director serves as the face for OBM’s landlord and city relationships in their respective geographic markets, often acting as the first point of contact between external contacts and OBM’s operational and sales teams. The Director’s role will be defined by:
- Identifying new sites and engaging with property owners, including the preparation and presentation of proposals and subsequent agreement negotiation
- Developing economic models to recommend deal structures
- Maintaining a thorough understanding of real estate development, public policy and other opportunities and challenges in current markets and target markets
- Managing OBM’s and IKE’s permit acquisition processes, including lobbying (directly and with consultants) of elected and government agency officials
- Coordinating community outreach initiatives to build a coalition of supporters and developing creative solutions for navigating complex regulatory environments
- Creating and strengthening OBM relationships with landlords and other partners through proactive communication and relationship building
- Managing communications with property owners and regulators to ensure that contractual obligations are tracked, delegated, and fulfilled
- Collaborating with the Sales Department to help forecast new asset live dates and prepare sales materials
- Collaborating with the Deployment and Operations Departments to ensure timely construction and launch of new assets
- Bachelors Degree (JD or MBA a plus)
- Project management experience a plus
- Minimum of two-years’ work experience (preferably in a related field such as real estate/finance, public policy or law)
- Candidates are not required to have experience in media, advertising, or real estate but all candidates must be eager learn about the out of home advertising industry.
OBM is an equal-opportunity employer, and provides competitive salary/incentive compensation and benefits, 401k match, expense account, free catered lunch daily, and a fun and fast-paced team-oriented environment.