Orange Barrel Media creates and operates iconic urban media displays that advertisers ask for by name in 20 of the top markets in the U.S. Since our founding in 2004, OBM has pioneered a community-oriented model of outdoor media development and is now nationally recognized by cities and real estate owners alike seeking to implement best-in-class programs that add to the character of urban places. To this end, OBM has pioneered zoning changes allowing spectacular signage in several markets (and growing), including Los Angeles, Boston, Washington, DC, Atlanta, Denver and other high barrier-to-entry markets. In the advertising community, OBM is widely recognized as the owner of the highest impact and most memorable advertising locations in the cities where it operates, and OBM displays are consistently selected as the centerpiece of clients’ outdoor advertising campaigns.
The OBM team is also a leader in smart city infrastructure, launching the interactive kiosk experience (“IKE”) platform in concert with cities across the United States through the company IKE Smart City. IKE is a breakthrough citizen engagement platform that helps cities communicate with the public, improve the pedestrian experience, and tell the story of their city. Our commitment to innovation and ongoing investment in software development has created the true smart city hub: a multi-lingual, open, and flexible platform with integrated features, functions, services, and resources that provide cities and the public with everything they need to navigate their city, all in one place. The core tenants of the IKE platform are public benefit and social equity, two values that we seek to maximize in every IKE market through the formation of public-private partnerships that achieve city objectives, exceed community expectations and build smart cities.
The Development Manager supports multiple functions within the real estate Development team, aiding in OBM’s and IKE’s development and investment activities, working primarily to establish relationships with owners of urban mixed-use properties, government leaders and community groups to obtain project support and entitlements, including legislation or use variances as required. The successful candidate will be passionate about building relationships, urban design, politics, marketing, technology and travel and will thrive in an extraordinarily fast-paced and entrepreneurial culture.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- The Development Department has primary responsibility for growing OBM’s portfolio of assets by identifying, securing and entitling inventory in accordance with company strategy. This responsibility includes the following tasks:
- Identifying new sites and engaging with property owners, including the preparation of proposals and presentations and subsequent negotiation of leases, operating agreements and other documents
- Developing economic models to structure deal terms, underwrite prospective partnerships and investments
- Maintaining a thorough understanding of real estate development, public policy and other opportunities and challenges in current markets and target markets
- Navigating complex regulatory environments through creative solutions
- Managing OBM’s and IKE’s permit acquisition processes, including lobbying (directly and with consultants) of elected and government agency officials, state and local permitting processes
- Coordinating community outreach initiatives to ensure the mutual success of the companies and their city partners
- Improving the value of leases and other property agreements by migrating to better forms and improving terms where appropriate
- The Development Manager serves as a day-to-day point of contact between the companies and their landlord partners and governmental authorities, ensuring key tasks are being met, including:
- Tracking lease agreement expiration and other deadlines, managing renewal negotiation process with landlords
- Collaborating with the Accounting team to deliver financial reporting, payables as required
- Collaborating with the Sales team to deliver forecasts and other information as required
- Collaborating with the Operations team to ensure requirements are met with regard to permitting, installation and construction procedures
- Strengthening relationships with landlords and city partners through proactive communication and relationship building
- Bachelor’s Degree (JD or MBA a plus)
- Minimum of two-years’ experience in related field (preferably in real estate/finance, public policy or law)
- Candidates are not required to have experience in media or advertising, but all candidates must be eager learn about the out-of-home advertising industry
OBM is an equal-opportunity employer, and provides competitive salary/incentive compensation and benefits, 401k match, expense account, free lunch daily and a fun and fast paced team-oriented environment.