Orange Barrel Media creates and operates iconic urban media displays that advertisers ask for by name in 17 of the top markets in the U.S. Our commitment to innovation has differentiated OBM as a leader in the Out-of-Home industry and driven the development of our subsidiary, IKE Smart City, a company that is blazing the way in smart city initiatives with our interactive digital kiosk, IKE. We are widely known as a place where people are inspired to achieve success, genuinely like each other, and have endless opportunities to grow. We value our associates and have created an environment of inclusion, respect, and fun. We hire and reward top-notch talent who contribute to our unique culture and shared vision. OBM and IKE Smart City are experiencing momentous growth, almost tripling in size over the past two years, and we start and end each day excited about the work we do together and the new challenges ahead. Learn more at www.ikesmartcity.com and www.orangebarrelmedia.com or visit us on Glassdoor.
As a Utility Manager, Engineering and Construction, you will be responsible for researching, documenting, planning and coordinating power and data service of IKE kiosks in your assigned cities. You will do preliminary exploration of power and data service options with an emphasis on cost and speed. In addition, a candidate will find success in this position if they thrive in a fast-paced environment and can successfully juggle multiple, complex projects. Flexibility is a must as our culture drives collaboration and values an enthusiastic “can do” attitude and creative thinking.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Identify all potential options for primary and secondary power for designated cites or jurisdictions
- Recommend options based on cost, speed, and broad applicability of solutions
- Make contact with and develop a relationship with local power and fiber companies
- Manage and execute physical IKE deployments in assigned cities including schedule, budget, due diligence, and local process, requirements, and restrictions.
- Identify, retain, and manage third-party contracted entities, including civil engineers, general and sub contractors, electricians, utility consultants, and local experts. Ensure that they are on schedule and on budget.
- Research, document and execute permitting, construction and other technical coordination processes with city and public utility entities, typically in the city right of way.
- Understand the requirements of various city and utility entities and disseminate information to the team.
- Define process and manage procurement of power and data, understanding public and private sources and the nuances of each city’s utility landscape, which often consists of technical, logistical, and political considerations.
- Minimize construction costs by locating power and data from existing sidewalk infrastructure and leveraging relationships with cities and quasi-city partner organizations.
- Assist with IKE site selection by providing insight and analysis on cost, schedule, and logistical considerations.
- Be on site and hands-on as required. Address site-specific issue as that occur during construction.
- Minimum of five-years professional experience in urban power and or fiber design, distribution, and construction. Preferred experience in large-scale or high-volume city deployments of smart city, telecom, or other technology infrastructure.
- Experience managing daily activity of engineering and/or construction teams including reviewing construction documents.
- Experience obtaining permits for commercial projects in metropolitan areas. Experience working with city departments including Public Works, Building, Planning & Zoning.
- Experience coordinating with general contractors including answering RFIs and conducting field visits.
- Tenacity to drive projects forward by creatively solving problems, bringing resources to bear, working through or around obstacles, and engaging key internal and external personnel. Self-driven and does not need to be told what to do.
- Treats obstacles as challenges to overcome to achieve success, rather than as reasons to fail. Conceives of and applies creative solutions to problems that block success. Focuses on solutions rather than problems.
- Stays on top of details and remains organized to ensure that the right people are doing the right things at the right times on multiple projects in multiple cities.
- Communicates well to make sure people have the right information to move projects forward, and lets stakeholders know when they need to act to head off problems.
- Highly organized with strong project-management skills. Able to juggle multiple projects, priorities, and stakeholders. Strong attention to detail, especially in engineering, construction, and permitting documentation.
- Rolls with the punches – flexible and versatile to thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced “startup” environment.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Architecture, or Construction Management preferred.
- Ability to travel throughout the country as projects demand.
OBM is an equal-opportunity employer, and provides competitive salary/incentive compensation and benefits, 401k match, and expense account.