About the Sustainable Apparel Coalition
The Sustainable Apparel Coalition (SAC) is an industry-wide group of more than 250 leading apparel, footwear, and textile, brands, retailers, suppliers, service providers, trade associations, nonprofits, NGOs, and academic institutions working to reduce the environmental and social impacts of products around the world.
Through multi-stakeholder engagement, the SAC seeks to lead the industry toward a shared vision of sustainability built upon a common approach for measuring and evaluating apparel, footwear, and textile product sustainability performance delivered by the Higg Index that spotlights priorities for action and opportunities for technological innovation.
The SAC was incorporated as a 501(c)6 nonprofit organization and launched the groundbreaking Higg Index suite of tools in 2011.
The Higg Index is a suite of tools that enables brands, retailers, and facilities of all sizes — at every stage in their sustainability journey — to measure and score a company or product’s social or environmental sustainability performance.
The Manager, Higg Product Tools is responsible for helping drive the success and value of the Higg Product Tools, which include the Higg MSI, MSI Contributor, and Higg Product Module.
- Assist in the development and maintenance of Higg Product Tool methodology and content to ensure the tools are meeting member needs
- Create training materials and guidance that support the success of Higg Product Tool users, including How to Higg guidance resources
- Prepare resources and create discussion points for Strategic Council and Member Expert presentations
- Collaborate with SAC members and ecosystem partners to iterate and evolve the Higg Product Tools over time
- Support industry conversations around life cycle assessment and Higg Product Tool methodology
- Support industry stakeholders in submitting data into the Higg Product Tools through the MSI Contributor
- Work with members to identify the most prominent data gaps and opportunities to solicit high-quality life cycle assessment data
- Support data submitters by answering questions about the submission process and Higg Product Tool methodology
- Introduce the Higg Product Tools to industry stakeholders
- Work with Events Team to develop plans for Design Workshops and Member Meetings, prepare content as needed, and present to audiences with various levels of expertise
- Meet with SAC members to explain Higg Product Tool purpose, value, methodology, data, and use cases.
- This is a full-time role, reporting directly to the Director of Higg Index, Product Tools
Qualifications, Experiences, and Attributes
The ideal candidate has the following qualifications, experiences, and attributes:
- Has working knowledge of and experience with life cycle assessment and related standards
- Has working knowledge of and experience with product and / or material development in apparel, footwear, and / or home textiles industries
- Has working knowledge of and experience with Higg MSI and Higg Product Module (preferred)
- Has the ability to think analytically about technical environmental assessment methodologies
- Has the ability to think creatively about new methods of environmental assessment
- Has a strong attention to detail and high level of accuracy
- Has excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills with experience working with people from a variety of cultures and backgrounds
- Is highly organized and able to manage various projects at one time
- Is based in the US or EU and able to work remotely
- Has a Bachelor’s degree, with a Master’s degree preferred in an environmental or an apparel/footwear or industry-related field
- Has at least 2 years of experience working with life cycle assessment data
- Has at least 2 years of experience working in product or material development at a brand or manufacturer
SAC offers a competitive salary and benefits, commensurate with experience. SAC's team members are globally located, and as such, the SAC staff sometimes works early or late hours.
SAC has retained Schaffer&Combs, a certified B Corporation, to support this high-priority search. In order to apply, please submit a resume and thoughtful cover letter via this posting. All candidates will receive an email invitation to complete a short self-assessment within a few business days of submitting their applications. Your responses in the self-assessment will help us learn more about you, and support a more robust conversation with our team, should we advance your candidacy.
Please refrain from contacting SAC directly. All inquiries should be directed to Schaffer&Combs at SAC@schaffercombs.com. We will be accepting applications on a rolling basis.