Growth with a Purpose
OppLoans is a rapidly growing Fintech company that helps credit-challenged consumers build a better financial path through accessible products and five-star customer service. As one of Chicago’s fastest-growing startups, we’ve made the Crain’s Business Chicago Fast 50 (#4 in 2019) and the Deloitte Technology Fast 500 (twice), and we’ve ranked in the top 10% of the Inc. 500 four years in a row!
OppLoans is a team of caring and inventive “Opptimists” with diverse perspectives and backgrounds. OppLoans employees approach every new challenge with an unparalleled ability to see what could be rather than settle for what is. We want people to be excited to come to work every morning and know they are a part of something great. That’s why we prize collaboration, collegiality, and letting the best ideas win the day.
What you get to do:
You'll report directly to our Accounting Lead. The Staff Accountant will oversee many aspects of accounting and finance including bank reconciliations, account reconciliations, month-end and year-end close, and other tasks and projects.
- Manage assigned accounting responsibilities
- Perform bank reconciliations
- Submit journal entries, complete account reconciliations, and manage select ledger accounts across multiple entities
- Analyze general ledger transactions and accounts, using technical judgment, to ensure that financial transactions are recorded correctly
- Assist with month-end and year-end close
- Prepare information for financial audits
- Help develop internal processes to improve the financial reporting process
- Keep organized records
- Perform other accounting, financial, or administrative office responsibilities
- Gain familiarity and working knowledge of our internal general ledger system
- Work with departments to determine workflows and resolve issues
- Assist Accounting Lead and Assistant Controller with monthly close process
- Ad-hoc financial analysis including potential for inter-department projects
What you will bring to the team:
- 2-3 years of work experience in accounting/financial reporting
- Public accounting experience is a plus
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or Business, or equivalent work experience
- Ability to multitask, problem-solve, and troubleshoot without direction
- Ability to adapt to multiple cloud-based/online financial platforms
- Strong analytical skills
- Previous reconciliation experience with large data sets is preferred
- The willingness to take on new tasks and broaden scope of responsibilities
- Proficient in Excel, including vlookups and pivot tables
- Experience with Sage Intacct is a plus
- Experience with FloQast is a plus
Define your career at OppLoans
OppLoans is committed to providing an exceptional employee experience that allows you to define your career and purpose with us. New hire “Opptimists” go through orientation, shadow programs, a new hire lunch with our CEO, Jared Kaplan, and you can participate in different company culture events focused on diversity, equity, and inclusion. Our onboarding team has designed programs to make you feel welcome and part of our team during your first year and beyond.
- Define the Mission (days 1-30): You will understand our company mission, values, and vision, and how your role at OppLoans plays a part in that.
- Define your Goals (months 1-3): You will be able to understand your role expectations and identify goals with your manager and mentor(s) to fulfill those expectations.
- Define your Belonging (months 3-6): You will understand OppLoans’ culture and have opportunities to engage with and impact that culture. Employee-led communities and programs, like our wellness program Project Opptimism, are offered to help with community connection both virtually and in-person.
- Define your Journey (6 months - 1 year): You will feel confident in your abilities to execute in your role and know the next step you will take to develop your career.
Compensation and Benefits
OppLoans offers a 401(k) matching program and paid vacation. Other benefits include medical benefits, including a free PPO medical option with BCBS for Employee-Only Plans, dental and vision coverage, and tuition reimbursement. To support your wellness, you receive a free gym membership at One Two Pru and a corporate discount on ClassPass packages. To get you to and from work, you can participate in our pre-tax commuter benefits program with CTA and Metra, park your bike in the One Two Pru bike storage room, and take advantage of discounted Divvy memberships. Dresscode is casual. Lunch is subsidized through Fooda and Sweetgreen, and healthy snacks and drinks are available all day at the office.
Our office is conveniently located in downtown Chicago with panoramic views of Millennium Park and Lake Michigan with rooftop access.