From the code to the values, we are Ethereum-aligned. We believe Ethereum has the potential to solve some of humanity’s most crucial coordination issues. Since our initial inception as a non-profit research group, we have have sought to scale both its technology and values.
At present the most pressing bottleneck to the growth of Ethereum is its performance and scalability. We are building the most elegant solution to this problem. We do this out in the open because we believe in open source and its ability to accelerate innovation.
Not only do we improve Ethereum's performance by orders of magnitude, we donate 100% of the profits generated from doing so to Ethereum public goods. We do this because we believe the future of the open internet is too important to be left to chance. By operating as a Public Benefit Corporation we're able to align private incentives with public good and create a positive-sum economic model that provides a sustainable future for the internet.
As our Head of Security you’ll have full ownership over security at Optimism. You will be responsible for implementing and maintaining our security roadmap and building tooling to secure one of the leading Ethereum L2s, with 1M+ ETH ($1B+ USD) of value locked on the protocol. You’ll also oversee one of the largest bug bounty programs in the world.
We are an engineering company with an engineering culture and take security seriously. In this role you’ll have the support of the team and be empowered to do your best work.
What are the role responsibilities?
- Build a comprehensive, prioritized assessment of the security risks Optimism faces.
- Build a roadmap for mitigating the risks described in the assessment.
- Maintain and personally execute on the roadmap you’ve designed.
- Be the internal security leader. Train and enforce security best practices across employees and internal teams (key management, multisig security, account hygiene, general opsec).
- Maintain incident response preparedness.
- Direct and manage contributions from other engineers.
- Work closely with leaders (comms, marketing, engineering, product) to ensure security best practices are put in place and communicated both internally and externally.
What skills do you bring?
- High agency. You will own security and should be excited about taking full ownership and responsibility of one of the most critical functions at OP Labs.
- Bias towards action. You are a builder and particularly in the early days, will be comfortable getting your hands dirty.
- Adversarial mindset. A deep understanding of how attackers think and operate.
- Strong understanding of threat modeling and common security vulnerabilities and their mitigations.
- Deep familiarity with cloud services, security tools and blockchain technology.
- Experience leading a team of senior security engineers.
What you'll like about us:
- We take care of our employees—from fully paid medical, dental and vision to a 4% 401K match, we've got you covered—learn more about our benefits, culture and all recruiting FAQ here.
- We take pride in the accomplishments of our teammates and support each other in doing the best work of our careers.
- Our team is a diverse group of people from a variety of backgrounds and interests. We cherish our eclecticism and consider it a great strength.
- We have a transparent, feedback-driven and fun-centric culture.
- We are a team of builders—our founding team has been working on Ethereum scalability since 2015.
We strongly encourage candidates of all different backgrounds to apply. We believe that our work is stronger with a variety of perspectives, and we’re eager to further diversify our company. If you have a background that you feel would make an impact at Optimism, please consider applying. We’re committed to building an inclusive, supportive place for you to do the best work of your career.