OpenTable, part of Booking Holdings Inc. (NASDAQ: BKNG), is the world's leading provider of online restaurant reservations, seating more than 25 million diners per month via online bookings across approximately 45,000 restaurants.
Since its inception in 1998, OpenTable has seated more than 1.5 billion diners in over 20 countries. The Company is headquartered in San Francisco, California, and the OpenTable service is available throughout the United States, as well as in Canada, Germany, Japan, Mexico, the UK and many more locations.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
As an employee of OpenTable, you will be part of a global network that includes OpenTable and KAYAK's portfolio of meta-search brands including momondo, Cheapflights, Swoodoo, checkfelix and Mundi. Many employees are dedicated to one brand, but we all have the benefit of using each other’s strengths and insights. Together, we’re able to help people experience the world through dining and travel.
In this role:
The Platform Architecture team improves the engineering experience @OpenTable. We enable teams to build quality products faster by providing a proven software foundation, education, and architectural support. We tackle problems in platform, security, integrations, asynchronous applications, engineering experience, and governance.
Collaborate with engineers to help build features for restaurants and diners. As a Sr. Java Engineer, you will help support our primary initiatives, propose improvements, partner within and outside of the team, and help chart a path forward for yourself, the application teams, and the platform at OpenTable.
You have always had a natural curiosity and a knack for solving problems. Problems are puzzles that need to be resolved. Patching symptoms feel uncomfortable and create aspirations to identify the root cause and fix it.
Your dialectical thinking helps to see the positive in conflicting solutions. Criticism of your designs is an opportunity to improve and you are quick to pivot in a direction you find mutually beneficial.
You love to learn new things and strive to improve your engineering skills. While something may work, you walk away wondering if there is a better way. You are not shy about letting others know your thoughts and engaging with them to brainstorm additional options.
Finally, as a self-starter and a problem solver, you don’t wait for others to tell you what to do; instead, you jump in, think through the problem, formulate an option for a solution and bring in others for additional brainstorming ideas.
Does this describe you or your aspirations? If so, we want to talk with you!
- Design, develop, test, deploy, maintain, support, and improve our libraries
- Assist groups migrating into the Kubernetes platform
- Research new technologies and prototype solutions
- Keep our systems fresh with periodic updates to our core dependencies (Spring/Boot)
Fit right in with the following:
- Good knowledge of Java, Spring/SpringBoot
- Building performant distributed RESTful applications and deploying with Docker or similar
- Experience in SQL databases
- Message processing using Kafka or other messaging platforms
- Multithreading and concurrent processing, data structures, async design patterns, OOP, OOA
- Love for optimizing your system using data and metrics
- Building an automation culture in testing, building, and deploying
- Excellent communication skills