At OpenTable, we deliver innovative products through rapid, continuous development. Millions of diners and thousands of restaurants around the globe use our products. If a continually challenging engineering environment excites you, we'd like to meet you. We move fast, release frequently, and believe strongly in automated testing to maintain our quality and velocity. We break things sometimes - and that's fine; we learn from it and become stronger as a result. Bonus points if you love restaurants.
About the role:
We are looking for energetic and passionate software engineers to join our rapidly-growing APAC teams. You'll be a key member of a multi-functional team that builds and designs OpenTable’s core reporting insights platform for restaurants globally and will have a substantial impact and involvement on some key enterprise strategies and initiatives. Our philosophy is to enable teams to be fluid whilst also retaining ownership over verticals. Joining us at the brand new Australian HQ of OpenTable in the heart of the Melbourne central business district, you will be part of an Agile environment which demands “best practice” engineering including TDD and Continuous Integration. You will collaborate with a diverse bunch of software engineers, designers, and product owners located in other offices including San Francisco, Los Angeles, London and Mumbai, and have the opportunity to work on cross-team projects.
About our platform:
Our primary services infrastructure utilizes Docker-based deployment on Mesos (eventually Kubernetes) and enables any team to deploy new services with ease. Our services employ persistent messaging and service discovery to coordinate and communicate. We trust our engineers to make the right technical decisions and use a varied tech stack including Java, .NET (C#), Kafka, PostgreSQL, MongoDB, Docker, Kubernetes, React, Node.js, GraphQL.
We are obsessed with our people. Our bright, modern CBD office on Collins St comes with a fully stocked kitchen and relaxed social spaces. We are keen on ongoing learning so you'll develop your skills through pair programming, lunch and learns, hackathons, tech meetups, and lab days to experiment with new insights. We also approach work with a calm focus and a sense of humour whilst keeping sane working hours. Social responsibility is something we believe in and regularly volunteer with our community partners with the full support of the company.
You love to code. You’re curious, passionate and constantly thinking about making code clean and better. You love technology and enjoy finding better ways to do things. You want to share what you discover and feel energized when you can learn from the people around you. When you build software, you consider how people will use it from all angles. You take pride in carefully honing your work until it feels reliable and effortless to use. You are calm during incidents when debugging production issues across services and multiple levels of the stack. You are a life-long student with a self-motivated desire to build and share your knowledge and skill; you have the ability and desire to mentor as well as be mentored. You are a dedicated professional who forms opinions and enjoys discussion yet remains personable and approachable.
What are we looking for:
- 5+ years of experience as a Software Engineer
- Strong experience with Java, J2EE
- In-depth knowledge of design patterns, data structures and OO design
- Experience in any one database technology (e.g. RDBMS like MySQL or Postgres and/or NoSQL like MongoDB or Cassandra)
- Experience working with large scale distributed systems and event-driven architectures
It would be awesome, but not required if you have:
- Experience with microservices, Reactive Programming, and test frameworks
- Understanding of Java/J2EE platform with Spring Framework
- Experience with Docker / Kubernetes / Singularity / Mesos
- Knowledge of system performance and operational readiness monitoring
- Experience collaborating with remote teams across time zones
- Experience working as a full-stack engineer will be an added advantage
What’s on offer:
- We’re growing, so there will be plenty of opportunities for you to grow your career with us.
- Flexible daily working hours - we value work-life balance
- Relaxed dress code
- Plenty of tasty food, drinks, and snacks available with a pool table and bar
- Work with a really smart, fun group of people
- Attractive salary package
- Generous parental (including secondary) leave policy
OpenTable, part of Booking Holdings Inc. (NASDAQ: BKNG), is the world's leading provider of online restaurant reservations, seating more than 29 million diners per month via online reservations across more than 52,000 restaurants. In addition to the company's website and mobile apps, OpenTable powers online reservations for nearly 600 partners, including many of the Internet's most popular global and local brands. Since its inception in 1998, OpenTable has seated over 2 billion diners around the world. OpenTable is headquartered in San Francisco and has bookable restaurants in more than 20 countries, including Australia, Canada, Germany, Ireland, Japan, Mexico, the Netherlands, Spain, United Kingdom and the United States. Restaurants are available for reservations in Dutch, English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, and Spanish languages.
OpenTable is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer