Openly is rebuilding insurance from the ground up. We are re-envisioning and enhancing every aspect of the customer experience. Doing this requires a rapidly growing team of exceptional, curious, empathetic people with a wide range of skill sets, spanning technology, data science, product, marketing, sales, service, claims handling, finance, etc.
Now is the perfect time to join the journey. Here’s why
- It’s working. We’re in multiple states and on our way to operating countrywide. We have thousands of agents selling our product and millions of dollars of annual customer premiums.
- We’re well-backed & stable. We closed our $75M Series C fundraise. We are supported by some of the top investors globally, including Google’s “Gradient” AI-focused fund, Obvious Ventures (Beyond Meat, etc.), and Advance Venture Partners.
- It’s not too late! Despite this traction and stability, we’re still early enough in the journey that there’s time to make a real difference during Openly’s formative period.
If you’d like to understand more about Openly’s mission, consider checking out this video (https://vimeo.com/267654520) from a company pitch we gave several years ago at Techstars.
We are seeking an Actuarial Analyst/Senior Actuarial Analyst to join the newly formed Actuarial Engineering function within Openly’s Product Research & Development team. This team is tasked with driving a paradigm shift in back-office insurance operations. In this position, you will develop actuarial software platforms supporting our insurance product management operations. This role uses the latest technologies to help automate and expand our profitability and pricing management capabilities. By creating intuitive tooling, you will empower business experts to leverage sophisticated analytics in an operational setting. This role requires a self-motivated, high-energy individual who can easily function in a fast-paced, performance-driven environment.
- Help design advanced, analytical tooling by extending traditional actuarial methodologies (indications, reserving, financial forecasts, CLTV, etc.).
- Contribute to the existing codebase with updates based on stakeholder feedback.
- Support the design of enhancements to existing insurance products or entirely new insurance products.
- Continuously explore, test, and adopt technologies that improve the scale and rigor of our actuarial capabilities.
- 2-4 years of experience in the actuarial insurance space, with a focus on insurance analytics and modeling with significant experience in personal lines insurance pricing.
- 3-5 actuarial exams with solid progress toward ACAS/FCAS
- Experience working in SQL in addition to either Python or R required
- Familiarity with BigQuery is a plus
- Familiarity with infrastructure technologies (e.g. Docker, Cloud Run) is a plus
- Ability to identify and define complex business problems and develop relevant analytical frameworks to deliver solutions, often operating in ambiguity and leveraging creativity
- Strong communication and project management skills, and the ability to collaborate effectively with people at all levels across the company
- Strong decision-making skills
Benefits & Perks
- Competitive salary, corporate bonus program, equity position in a start-up company
- Company-sponsored medical, dental, vision insurance plans, short-term and long-term disability, life insurance, 401k with corporate contribution, and FSA plan
- Company-paid 12 weeks parental leave policy
- The company fully embraces the “work-from-anywhere in the US” mentality, even before COVID restrictions.
- Paid Time Off
- Fun, fast-paced, startup environment
U.S. Citizens, Green Card Holders, and those authorized to work in the U.S. for any employer and currently residing in the US will be considered.
Openly is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Openly is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Openly will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities under applicable law.