OpenLabs is a non-profit research lab that develops a wide range of cutting-edge products used by the most important progressive organizations in the country. Our research undergirds short-term and long-term strategy for advancing progressive causes and has a trusted track record among key decision makers.
The R&D team within OpenLabs has a storied history, and has worked with central players to develop strategy and direct hundreds of millions of dollars of resources. The work produced by the team is widely regarded as among the most technically sophisticated in the space. If you join us, you’ll be plugging into a diverse team of decorated engineers, PhD data scientists and political insiders who are closely connected to some of the most important decision makers in the progressive ecosystem.
We are looking for a machine learning engineer to help develop and scale our research projects with state of the art tools. Our problems are not well suited to plug and play machine learning solutions - we’re looking for someone to help us think creatively and critically about how best to construct models on tricky datasets, carefully diagnose when they fail, and design and implement new features in our custom Bayesian TensorFlow library.
We’re a fast and dynamic team, and you’ll be contributing to innovative work that evolves week by week. We’re looking for you to bring your passion for engineering, a strong attention to detail, and a desire to make a big impact on a timeline.
We offer a competitive salary, medical, dental, and health benefits, and a work environment that will support your differences. While the work is remote most of the team is NYC based, and as COVID wanes that will likely be a center of gravity for our team.
- Build end to end machine learning systems to intake and transform data, train and serve models, and deliver results at high frequency
- Answer fundamental data science questions. Our tech stack is currently comprised of custom Bayesian machine learning models, and we’re constantly exploring the literature for novel ideas in order to solve hard problems
- Deliver actionable guidance to important internal stakeholders, helping them understand nuances of the model output
Our ideal candidate likely:
- Has experience with working alongside data scientists, engineers, and non-technical stakeholders.
- Has experience in TensorFlow and the surrounding ecosystem (or in PyTorch, etc. and are willing to learn TF).
- Has experience (or willingness to learn) with distributed ETL systems, such as Apache Beam.
- Has experience (or willingness to think deeply about) social science practices, and extracting causal understanding from large amounts of survey data.
- Is a strong python programmer
- Is comfortable with SQL
- Has 4+ years of professional engineering experience
- Has strong oral and written communication skills - can write design docs, understand system architecture, and knows how to reason about technical decisions.
We don’t expect every applicant to have expertise in every area listed above. We encourage you to apply if you don’t feel your experience and background sound like a perfect fit. Many of our team members have taken an unusual path to get to where they are today, and our unique and diverse perspectives make us more effective. We also believe strongly in our team’s ability to learn and excel at new skills and challenges. Join us!
Candidates must be authorized to work lawfully in the United States.