Are you a backend or full-stack engineer with a knack for designing robust and scalable data systems? Are you ready to use your Python powers to protect our democracy? Do you love working on a tight-knit team and wearing many hats? If so, the most valuable use of your time right now is working with us.
OpenLabs is a non-profit research lab that develops a wide range of cutting-edge products used by the most important progressive organizations in the country. Our research undergirds short-term and long-term strategy for advancing progressive causes and has a trusted track record among key decision makers.
The R&D team within OpenLabs has a storied history, and has worked with central players to develop strategy and direct hundreds of millions of dollars of resources. The work produced by the team is widely regarded as among the most technically sophisticated in the space. If you join us, you’ll be plugging into a diverse team of decorated engineers, PhD data scientists and political insiders who are closely connected to some of the most important decision makers in the progressive ecosystem.
OpenLabs engineers work closely with data scientists and internal stakeholders who liaise with external political partners to design, build, and scale research products. The insights from our products are used for understanding the issues important to the American public, what policies should be supported, how best to argue for them, and much more. We are responsible for research products that are scalable, robust, accurate, and useful.
We’re a fast and dynamic team, and you’ll be contributing to innovative work that evolves week by week. We’re looking for you to bring your passion for engineering, a strong attention to detail, and a desire to make a big impact on a timeline.
In addition to the opportunity to help save American democracy, we offer a competitive salary, medical, dental, and health benefits, and the ability for you to be your full self at work! While the work is remote most of the team is NYC based, and as COVID wanes that will likely be a center of gravity for our team.
You might work on:
- Designing, building, and scaling end-to-end data pipelines for our research products that can accurately and quickly process large amounts of data
- Automating the process of generating surveys, customizing their functionality, and collecting survey data
- Collaborating with the machine learning team to send data to their ML models, retrieve analysis output, and visualize for stakeholders
- Designing and developing self-service tools for internal and external stakeholders to submit new research studies and view research results
You may be a good fit if you:
- Are proficient in Python and SQL or similar
- Enjoy and have experience working with data systems, databases, data pipelines
- Enjoy and have experience in designing backend systems to be reliable and fast
- Enjoy wearing many hats, thinking creatively, or working across the tech stack to solve problems and deliver for our partners
- Thrive in multi-disciplinary teams working with data scientists and political experts
- Have strong oral and written communication skills, especially in a remote environment
- Are a kind person and a team player who contributes to a warm working environment
We don’t expect every applicant to have expertise in every area listed above. We encourage you to apply if you don’t feel your experience and background sound like a perfect fit. Many of our team members have taken an unusual path to get to where they are today, and our unique and diverse perspectives make us more effective. We also believe strongly in our team’s ability to learn and excel at new skills and challenges. Join us!
Candidates must be authorized to work lawfully in the United States.