Director of Legal
Location: New York City, or Remote US
This position can be based out of our New York office, based in Downtown Manhattan, or remote elsewhere in the United States. There is a preference for candidates to be in the East or Central time zones. (subject to your existing legal right to work in either jurisdiction).
OpenFin is a fast-growing financial technology company backed by the world’s largest banks and most respected Fintech VCs, including J.P. Morgan, Barclays, HSBC, Wells Fargo, SC Ventures, Bain Capital Ventures, DRW, Nyca Partners, and Pivot Investment Partners. OpenFin modernizes and democratizes app development and distribution in the finance space. We provide a secure OS that brings the “Apple Experience” to Wall Street at enterprise grade. More than 3,500 applications run on OpenFin across 2,400 investment firms and 350,000+ users. OpenFin’s customers include the largest banks, asset managers, hedge funds and mission-critical financial services vendors in the world.
About the Role
As Director of Legal, you will have primary responsibility for negotiating the company’s commercial contracts and you will coordinate with outside counsel on other legal matters. We are looking for a driven, diligent individual, who demonstrates excellent follow through and the ability to drive processes through to completion
You will be expected to own the following -
- Customer contracts - software licenses, partnership agreements, NDAs, professional services agreements and other custom arrangements with clients.
- Marketing - marketing vendor and event agreements, in addition to digital marketing privacy concerns.
- Product counseling - you will coordinate with outside counsel on the legal implications of new features, including from an IP and privacy perspective.
- Employment - review both employment and consulting agreements, coordinating with outside counsel on personnel issues as they arise.
- IP Portfolio Management - coordinate with outside counsel to manage and grow OpenFin’s portfolio of IP and handle disputes as they arise
What We’re Looking For
- You are excellent at negotiating commercial contracts
- You are able to balance multiple priorities and drive contracts to signatures diligently
- You have a good baseline understanding of web technology and software, and are eager to learn more
- You have excellent judgment, attention to detail, ability to issue-spot in a fast-moving environment and exceptional communication skills.
- You have the ability to work independently with limited supervision, advancing multiple priorities simultaneously.
- A J.D. and bar admission in at least one state (preference to New York)
- At least 4 plus years of experience, ideally a mix of law firm and in house roles
- Some experience negotiating software licenses and/or advising SaaS clients on agreements is required
- Experience in a fast growing start-up or other technology company is a plus.
- Strong interpersonal and presentation skills, along with the ability to establish and maintain strong relationships across the entire organization
Life at OpenFin
At OpenFin, our mission is to stay on the cutting edge of web technologies and to enable our customers to do the same. While we are currently remote, we pride ourselves on our friendly, diverse, understanding office culture. Our goal is to create a space where employees can learn and innovate, and overall, have a good time doing it. Our employees have a diverse set of interests and experiences, and we encourage you to explore those interests and share with us! We have regular happy hours and social events. Our offices and our employees are conducive to a productive learning experience -- all the while creating innovative and compelling solutions for our clients.