About the Team
OpenAI's Legal team plays a crucial role in furthering OpenAI's mission by tackling innovative, fundamental legal issues in AI. If you're passionate about doing significant and unique work as a technology lawyer, this team is for you. The team comprises professionals from diverse fields, including technology, AI, privacy, IP, corporate, employment, tax law, regulatory, and litigation.
About the Role
OpenAI's Commercial and Go To Market initiatives have experienced significant growth, and we are now looking to expand our team with a seasoned legal leader. With expertise in large-scale B2B operations, the individual in this high-impact role will lead our commercial legal function, fostering excellence within OpenAI and the broader AI industry. You will manage our growing commercial legal team and report to our Global Head of Product, Privacy and Commercial Counsel.
This role is based in San Francisco, CA. We use a hybrid work model of 3 days in the office per week and offer relocation assistance to new employees.
In this role, you will:
- Lead & Scale: Build, manage, and motivate our commercial legal team to meet GTM growth, vendor, and procurement goals.
- Identify Strategic Partnerships: Enhance our ability to negotiate and form pivotal strategic partnerships.
- Be Hands-on: Engage personally in intricate deals, working collaboratively with various company functions.
- Define Success Metrics: Craft and fine-tune metrics to gauge team success, reporting, and adapting to shifts in the commercial landscape.
We expect candidates to bring a blend of experience:
- 15+ years of legal experience in in-house and law firm roles
- A reputation for being a motivational and supportive leader of high-impact teams
- Successfully scaling tech enterprise/B2B focused Legal teams
- History of growing and leading teams managing strategic partnership/licensing negotiations
- Partnered closely with cross-functional teams, including Go To Market, Finance, Product, Security and more.
- JD degree from an accredited law school and membership in at least one state bar.
Compensation, Benefits and Perks
Total compensation also includes generous equity and benefits.
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family
- Mental health and wellness support
- 401(k) plan with 4% matching
- Unlimited time off and 18+ company holidays per year
- Paid parental leave (20 weeks) and family-planning support
- Annual learning & development stipend ($1,500 per year)
OpenAI is an AI research and deployment company dedicated to ensuring that general-purpose artificial intelligence benefits all of humanity. We push the boundaries of the capabilities of AI systems and seek to safely deploy them to the world through our products. AI is an extremely powerful tool that must be created with safety and human needs at its core, and to achieve our mission, we must encompass and value the many different perspectives, voices, and experiences that form the full spectrum of humanity.
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
For US Based Candidates: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities, and requests can be made via this link.
At OpenAI, we believe artificial intelligence has the potential to help people solve immense global challenges, and we want the upside of AI to be widely shared. Join us in shaping the future of technology.