About the Team
We bring OpenAI's technology to the world through products like ChatGPT and the OpenAI API.
We seek to learn from deployment and distribute the benefits of AI, while ensuring that this powerful tool is used responsibly and safely. Safety is more important to us than unfettered growth.
About the Role
We are looking for a self-starter engineer who loves building new products in an iterative and fast-moving environment. In this role, you will be bringing our large language models to millions of users around the world. Our users include everyday enthusiasts as well as professionals for ChatGPT, and everyone from hobbyists to large enterprises for the OpenAI API — you’ll interface directly with users to develop the features they want most! You will also collaborate closely with the research teams that created the core models and work with them on continual improvement. You will be a key part of the effort to push these technologies forward, and onto the next 100x users.
In this role, you will:
- Own the development of new customer-facing ChatGPT and OpenAI API features and product experiences end-to-end
- Talk to users to understand their problems and design solutions to address them
- Work with the research team to get relevant feedback and iterate on their latest models
- Collaborate with a cross-functional team of engineers, researchers, product managers, designers, and operations folks to create cutting-edge products
- Optimize applications for speed and scale
Your background looks something like:
- 5+ years of relevant engineering experience at tech and product-driven companies
- Proficiency with some backend language (we use Python)
- Some experience with relational databases like Postgres/MySQL
- Interest in AI/ML (direct experience not required)
- Ability to move fast in an environment where things are sometimes loosely defined and may have competing priorities or deadlines
Compensation, Benefits and Perks
Total compensation also includes generous equity and benefits.
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family
- Mental health and wellness support
- 401(k) plan with 4% matching
- Unlimited time off and 18+ company holidays per year
- Paid parental leave (20 weeks) and family-planning support
- Annual learning & development stipend ($1,500 per year)
OpenAI is an AI research and deployment company dedicated to ensuring that general-purpose artificial intelligence benefits all of humanity. We push the boundaries of the capabilities of AI systems and seek to safely deploy them to the world through our products. AI is an extremely powerful tool that must be created with safety and human needs at its core, and to achieve our mission, we must encompass and value the many different perspectives, voices, and experiences that form the full spectrum of humanity.
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
For US Based Candidates: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities, and requests can be made via this link.
At OpenAI, we believe artificial intelligence has the potential to help people solve immense global challenges, and we want the upside of AI to be widely shared. Join us in shaping the future of technology.