About the Team
OpenAI’s mission is to ensure that general-purpose artificial intelligence benefits all of humanity. We believe that achieving our goal requires effective engagement with public policy stakeholders and the broader community impacted by AI. Accordingly, our Global Affairs team builds authentic, collaborative relationships with public officials and the broader AI policymaking community to inform and support our shared work in these domains. We ensure that insights from policymakers inform our work and - in collaboration with our colleagues and external stakeholders - seek to further regulation, industry standards, and safe and beneficial development of AI tools.
About the Role
As the US Congressional Lead on the Global Affairs team, you will develop strategies and lead OpenAI’s engagement with the U.S. Congress, including developing and managing relationships with House and Senate lawmakers and staff. You will support OpenAI leadership in meetings, briefings, hearings and other engagements with Congress. You will also facilitate collaboration with civil society and industry partners relevant to Congressional engagement and in alignment with OpenAI’s mission.
OpenAI releases industry-leading research and tools. You will face new challenges as the impact of cutting edge generative AI technologies continues to be explored and as the needs of the organization evolve. Day-to-day work may encompass anything from helping to shape strategic initiatives and policy documents to preparing our leaders for engagements with government officials or representing OpenAI in private and public forums.
We are looking for a self-directed and creative individual with significant Capitol Hill experience, experience managing private sector and civil society relationships, plus a sophisticated understanding of AI-related legislative and regulatory issues and processes. Technical skills relating to generative AI models are highly desirable.
This role is based in Washington, DC and may require frequent travel to participate in meetings and events with key stakeholders. We offer relocation assistance to new employees.
You should thrive in this role if you:
- Are well versed in the issues around emerging AI technologies, especially in the U.S. Congressional context.
- Are an enthusiastic and effective coalition builder who thrives as a member of a high performing, peer-led global team.
- Are highly organized, and are used to working as an accountable individual contributor as well as a team player.
- Are passionate about the promise of technology and the future of artificial intelligence but thoughtful about its potential risks.
We're looking for a blend of:
- Established Capitol Hill network and credibility with colleagues on both sides of the aisle in the House and Senate.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of the U.S. political system, institutions, and processes, and the key policy issues and debates related to AI
- Experience managing relationships with civil society, researchers and other stakeholders, including underrepresented groups
- Deep experience in technology policy
- Track record of effectively working with cross-functional teams, especially engineering and research teams, and aligning a diverse range of internal and external partners
- Sound judgment and outstanding personal integrity
- Ability to execute in fast and flexible environments through rapid cycles of analysis, decision, and action
- Excellent communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills, with the ability to convey complex technical and policy concepts to diverse audiences
- Strong strategic thinking, problem-solving, and project management skills
- Genuine care and knowledge about the impact of technology on society
- Previous work on AI issues and technical AI development expertise a significant plus
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities, and requests can be made via this link.
Compensation, Benefits and Perks
Total compensation also includes generous equity and benefits.
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family
- Mental health and wellness support
- 401(k) plan with 4% matching
- Unlimited time off and 18+ company holidays per year
- Paid parental leave (20 weeks) and family-planning support
- Annual learning & development stipend ($1,500 per year)