About the Team
OpenAI’s Hardware Health team oversees all hardware health related aspects of our custom-built hyperscale supercomputers. The team is responsible for maximizing the available supercomputing capacity for research and ensuring that our researchers are minimally impacted by hardware faults.
The hardware health team is being incubated inside OpenAI’s Scaling team, which operates at the far edge of all available innovations in AI — doing the engineering and research required to train large-scale AI models of unprecedented capability.
About the Role
As a Tech Lead in Hardware Health, you will serve as the main point of contact for the team and work closely with the Scaling team to develop strategy and deliver on goals. You will oversee the maintenance of a sophisticated and comprehensive suite of hardware health tests, lead projects to root-cause newly-discovered issues, and ensure that the research team is minimally impacted by hardware faults. As the team grows, we would ideally like for this person to become the Engineering Manager.
The team moves at a fast pace, and a successful Tech Lead will be supportive of team members while providing a strong sense of direction and focus.
An ideal candidate would have:
- Prior experience as a Tech Lead or similar leadership role
- Proven ability to lead and manage projects from start to finish
- Technical expertise with Python, shell scripting, SQL, PromQL, and Pandas
- Experience developing reproducible analyses, dashboards, and visualizations
- A high level of detail orientation and a good intuition for when results are “too good/bad to be true”
- A strong sense of ownership causing them to very carefully monitor outcome of deployed updates
Bonus Points if you have expertise and interest in low-level details of hardware components, protocols, and associated Linux tooling (PCIe, networking, power management, kernel perf tuning)
OpenAI is an AI research and deployment company dedicated to ensuring that general-purpose artificial intelligence benefits all of humanity. We push the boundaries of the capabilities of AI systems and seek to safely deploy them to the world through our products. AI is an extremely powerful tool that must be created with safety and human needs at its core, and to achieve our mission, we must encompass and value the many different perspectives, voices, and experiences that form the full spectrum of humanity.
At OpenAI, we believe artificial intelligence has the potential to help people solve immense global challenges, and we want the upside of AI to be widely shared. Join us in shaping the future of technology.
Compensation, Benefits and Perks
The annual salary range for this role is $200,000 – $370,000. Total compensation also includes generous equity and benefits.
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family
- Mental health and wellness support
- 401(k) plan with 4% matching
- Unlimited time off and 18+ company holidays per year
- Paid parental leave (20 weeks) and family-planning support
- Annual learning & development stipend ($1,500 per year)
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities, and requests can be made via this link.