About the Team
OpenAI’s mission is to build safe artificial general intelligence (AGI) which benefits all of humanity. This long-term undertaking brings the world’s best scientists, engineers, and business professionals together under one organization to accomplish this.
We're building the most advanced AI models and platforms, making it easy for developers and customers to benefit from AI via the OpenAI API and ChatGPT. Our API also provides developers access to Codex – a model that translates natural language into code – and we partnered with GitHub to create an AI pair programmer, Copilot. We're working to bring other research efforts into the API such as DALL-E 2 (our text to image generator) and CLIP (our state-of-the-art image classifier).
OpenAI Finance is responsible for ensuring the organization is set up for success in pursuit of its mission. The Director of Equity Administration works cross-functionally with senior leadership to ensure the integrity and effectiveness of our employee equity program and is a financial linchpin for the organization.
About the Role
We’re looking for a newly created Director of Equity Administration to lead all aspects of OpenAI’s equity program, aligned to our mission-driven capped-profit structure. You will oversee and administer our bespoke equity plan, ensure compliance with relevant regulations, and provide education and support to the company. You will collaborate with cross-functional teams to ensure the accurate and timely recording and reporting of equity transactions. This role requires deep subject matter expertise and the ability to reason through complex issues.
This strategic, yet hands-on role, will report to the VP Finance and work closely with the COO, General Counsel, and HR. You will be a key player in driving the financial success of the organization by building – and sustaining – a world-class equity function.
This role is based in our San Francisco HQ. We offer relocation assistance to new employees.
In this role, you will:
- Oversee the administration of employee equity, including the issuance, vesting, and tracking of profit participation units
- Work cross-functionally with legal and HR to develop and deploy new equity programs
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of relevant regulations and ensure ongoing compliance with tax and securities laws
- Work with the VP Finance to meet all ASC 718 requirements, including monthly journal entries and annual financial reporting & disclosures
- Provide regular training and education to equity holders and respond timely to employee questions
- Manage the company’s cap table and employee-facing equity administration software
- Work with broader OpenAI Finance to analyze equity activity and progress against long-term plans
We’re looking for a blend of:
- Progressive experience leading equity administration at some combination of public companies or late-stage startups, with exposure to complex equity instruments
- Experience with global equity plans and managing an equity administration system
- A deep understanding of ASC 718 and the related financial reporting requirements
- Exemplary interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills as demonstrated by the ability to land complex concepts across multiple audiences
- Best-in-class attention to detail and unwavering commitment to accuracy
- Mastery of equity-adjacent software tools (Carta, Excel)
You might thrive in this role if:
- You’re an enthusiastic self-starter. You thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment, and expect to fully own your vertical. You take ownership of your work and believe that a job not done well is a job not done.
- You’re a phenomenal teammate. You’re a strong communicator who can explain complex topics with ease, in any format. You intuitively understand the importance of keeping everyone in the loop, and you take proactive measures to do so. You’re intellectually honest.
- You’re a builder. You not only embrace the opportunity to have a direct impact on how a company operates, you revel in it. An organization relies on the quality of its foundation and your passion is building strong systems and processes from the ground up.
- You’re excited about new challenges. You don’t have the answers to every question up front, but the process of solving them invigorates you. Novel issues requiring multidimensional knowledge excite you.
- You’re passionate about technology and artificial intelligence.
OpenAI is an AI research and deployment company dedicated to ensuring that general-purpose artificial intelligence benefits all of humanity. We push the boundaries of the capabilities of AI systems and seek to safely deploy them to the world through our products. AI is an extremely powerful tool that must be created with safety and human needs at its core, and to achieve our mission, we must encompass and value the many different perspectives, voices, and experiences that form the full spectrum of humanity.
At OpenAI, we believe artificial intelligence has the potential to help people solve immense global challenges, and we want the upside of AI to be widely shared. Join us in shaping the future of technology.
Compensation, Benefits and Perks
The annual salary range for this role is $180,000 – $285,000. Total compensation also includes generous equity and benefits.
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family
- Mental health and wellness support
- 401(k) plan with 4% matching
- Unlimited time off and 18+ company holidays per year
- Paid parental leave (20 weeks) and family-planning support
- Annual learning & development stipend ($1,500 per year)
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities, and requests can be made via this link.